- Get Involved
- Education & Events
- Publications & Research
- About ACA
First Aid/CPR Recognized Certifications
The following lists include certifications that meet specified ACA standards, based on recommendations from the certifying bodies. A camp should also verify what is acceptable certification within their state. This list will be updated when changes are made. To determine if courses or certifications not listed meet standards requirements, contact the standards department at the ACA national office.
At this time, the American Camp Association requires that any aquatic, first aid, and CPR certification must include, at minimum, 50% of course time to include in-person instruction, hands-on practice, and skills assessment under the direct supervision of a certified instructor from one of the organizations listed below. It is acceptable to have a portion of the course be completed online (course readings, etc.).
HW.2 from 2012 Standards
When access to the EMS is 30 minutes or less, certification by a nationally recognized provider of training in first aid and CPR?
Standard, Community, or Basic First Aid with age-appropriate CPR from any of the following organizations:
- A-B-CPR – Basic First Aid and CPR
- Emergency Care and Safety Institute (ECSI) - American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (Wilderness First Aid Basic, CPR and AED)
- American Red Cross — First Aid/CPR/AED
- American Heart Association - (Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED, Heartsaver First AidCPR/AED, Heartsaver CPR, Heartsaver AED (CPR/AED), or BLS for Healthcare Providers)
- American Safety and Health Institute: Basic First Aid/CPR
- Emergency First Response – Primary and Secondary Care (First Aid and CPR)
- EMS Safety Services - CPR/AED and First Aid for Community Rescuers OR CPR/AED and First Aid for Childcare Providers
- Medic First Aid International - PediatricPlus CPR, AED and First Aid for Children, Infants and Adults (camps serving all ages)
- Medic First Aid International - Basic CPR, AED and First Aid for Adults (camps serving children 8 and older)
- Medic First Aid International - BasicPlus CPR, AED and First Aid for Adults (camps serving children 8 and older)
- National Lifesaving and Aquatics -First Aid/CPR/AED
- St. John's Ambulance (Canada, Australia) Emergency First Aid/CPR, Basic Life Support, or Emergency First Aid for Childcarers.
- National Safety Council - First Aid, CPR and AED
- Sierra Rescue - Basic First Aid/CPR/AED (Provides Courses in the Western USA)
- Or courses listed as meeting parts B or C of this standard.
HW.2.2 for the 2012 Standards
When access to EMS is 30 minutes certification from a nationally-recognized provider of training in wilderness first aid and CPR ? (A higher level of training will also meet this standard)
(Minimum 16 hour course)
Wilderness First Aid, Wilderness Advanced First Aid, Wilderness First Responder, Responding to Emergencies,or Wilderness EMT from any of the following organizations: (with age appropriate CPR from organizations listed in Part A or B):
- Emergency Care and Safety Institute (ECSI) - American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons: Wilderness First Aid ADVANCED Level Course
- American Safety and Health Institute (ASHI)
- American Red Cross - Wilderness and Remote First Aid. Contact your local Red Cross chapter or go to www.redcross.org >> Preparing and Getting Trained >> Get Trained. Instructors please go to https://www.instructorscorner.org/RedCross/
- Longleaf Wilderness Medicine - Wilderness First Aid and Wilderness First Responder
- National Safety Council – NSC Advanced First Aid
- National Ski Patrol - Outdoor Emergency Care
- Remote Medical International
- Sierra Rescue - Two Day Wilderness First Aid Course (Provides Courses in the Western USA)
- SOLO - Wilderness First Aid, Wilderness First Responder, CPR
- The Mountaineers - Mountaineering Oriented First Aid
- Wilderness Medical Associates
- Wilderness Medical Training Center
- Wilderness Medicine Institute
- Wilderness Medicine Outfitters (Distance Learning Course does not qualify)
- Wilderness Safety Council
- Wilderness Safety & Emergency Response (W.I.S.E.R.)
- St. John's Ambulance (Canada, Australia) Remote Area First Aid
*Generally, requirements for First Aid or CPR certification in other standards (e.g. PC-12/PD.17, PH-13/PD.17) may be met with any of the courses listed above.