- Get Involved
- Education & Events
- Publications & Research
- About ACA
Eleanor P. Eells Award
Eleanor P. Eells Awards
Excellence in Research in Practice
The Eleanor P. Eells Awards focus on recognizing program excellence as well as excellence in research in practice at camps. A total of six nominees will be selected for recognition at the National Conference and throughout the year. Evaluation and selection of the final awards will be completed by the National Awards Committee and the Committee for the Advancement of Research and Evaluation (CARE) as a collaborative initiative to recognize excellence in all areas at camp! Two awards will be given out: the Eleanor P. Eells Award for Program Excellence and the Eleanor P. Eells Award for Excellence in Research in Practice.
Submit a Nomination
- Eleanor P. Eells Award for Program Excellence - nominate online or download a PDF
- Eleanor P. Eells Award for Research in Practice - nominate online or download a PDF
Eleanor P. Eells was a leader and inspiration within the field of camp throughout her life. She was an active participant in the Settlement House and Social Service Agency camp movements and a pioneer in therapeutic camping. She was one of the founders of the Fund for Advancement of Camping and served as its director through FAC's formative years.
Eleanor Eells had an equally important influence on the American Camp Association. She worked with FAC to support programs such as ACA's 1970s standards research and rewrite; the pilot Camp Director Certification Institute; the Camping Unlimited/Intergrouping Project; ACA's last reorganization; and securing government funding for campership use. Her greatest contribution was helping individuals and camps start new programs. When these programs were operating, she shared results with countless others.
Eleanor Eells' life was an example for the camp professional. The first recipient of ACA's highest honor, the Distinguished Service Award, Eleanor Eells passed away in her 94th year in Calgary, Alberta.
Eleanor P. Eells Awards for Program Excellence are designed to honor camp programs that:
- Develop effective, creative responses to the needs of people and/or societal problems using the camp environment,
- Encourage continued development of such ideas,
- Stimulate the exchange of creative ideas, and/or
- Present to the public examples of positive contributions camp has made on the well being of individuals and society.
Eleanor P. Eells Awards for Excellence in Research in Practice are designed to honor camp programs that:
- Develop and implement or apply an exemplary research or evaluation project, and
- Use research or evaluation findings to improve program practice, and
- Develop model research or evaluation project that can be adapted or replicated, and
- Share research or evaluation findings with others.