- Get Involved
- Education & Events
- Publications & Research
- About ACA
2011 Healthy Camp Symposium
Healthy Camps—Making a Difference
High performing camps are aware of and respond to the emerging trends in camp health management. The American Camp Association, the Association of Camp Nurses, and Markel Insurance are pleased to host a one day symposium highlighting best practices and emerging issues in camp health care.
The Healthy Camp Symposium, sponsored by Markel, is a one-day conference which will be held in conjunction with the 2011 ACA National Conference in San Diego. This conference-within-a-conference on February 9, 2011 will highlight best practices for illness and injury prevention learned from the five-year Healthy Camp Study along with new and emerging strategies in the areas of camp health and wellness. Download Tentative Schedule.
ACA’s Healthy Camp Study—a five-year surveillance project targeting youth and staff injuries and illnesses in camp—contributed to the development of several best practices in the areas of injury and illness prevention in day and residents camps. These best practices will inform all aspects of the Symposium and provide strategic direction to those who influence the health profile of their own camp, especially camp directors and camp nurses.
The Healthy Camp Symposium will address several areas critical for the healthy youth development, including:
- mental health,
- injury prevention,
- illness prevention,
- contact with nature,
- sexuality, and
The Symposium will also address how camps can better collect health information in camp and use it effectively for health promotion, risk assessment/management, etc.
Featured speakers include:
- Bob Ditter- Senior level clinical social worker who specializes in the evaluation and treatment of children, adolescents and their families. Bob was the Co-Chair of ACA's Consortium on Camp Wellness.
- Linda Ebner Erceg, RN, PHN, MS, is the Associate Director for Health and Risk Management at Concordia Language Villages and the Executive Director for the Association of Camp Nurses. Linda also served on the Healthy Camp Study Advisory Committee and was Co-Chair of ACA's Consortium on Camp Wellness.
- Martha Farrell Erickson, Ph.D.- Co-founder and Children and Nature Network board member. Founding Director of the University of Minnesota’s ground-breaking Children, Youth & Family Consortium, and now serving as Consultant and Director Emeritus.
- Michael Thompson, Ph.D.- Consultant, author and psychologist specializing in children and families. He is the clinical consultant to The Belmont Hill School and has worked in more than five hundred schools across the United States, as well as in international schools in Central America, Europe and Asia.
- Chris Thurber, Ph.D.- Board certified clinical psychologist and creator Leadership Essentials, online video training modules available at ExpertOnlineTraining.com.
- Edward (Skip) Walton, MD, FAAP, FACEP- Division Director, Pediatric Emergency Medicine at William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, MI. Skip also served on the Healthy Camp Study Advisory Committee and is currently Vice-President of the American Camp Association.
- Stuart T. Weinberg, MD, FAAP- Project Director, Outpatient Whiteboard; Assistant Professor of Biomedical Informatics; Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
- Presenter content on CD or USB drive
- Expanded web-based resources
- A vision for what the future of camp health might be, thus enabling more effective strategic management for your camp.
There is no fee to attend.
For more information about the Healthy Camp Study, visit: www.acacamps.org/research/enhance/reduce-injury-illness.
To register for the Healthy Camp Symposium, visit http://www.acacamps.org/conference/registration.