- Get Involved
- Education & Events
- Publications & Research
- About ACA
Creating Positive Youth Outcomes: Linking Camp Programs to Camper Outcomes Through Assessment
This course is designed orient camp directors and administrators to the step-by-step process of implementing an assessment system that promotes positive youth outcomes at camp. Starting with an overview of the key concepts of positive youth development, we'll focus on two major facets of assessment at camp: assessment of program processes and assessment of camper outcomes. Participants will complete Application Exercises throughout the course in order to apply course concepts directly to their specific camp. Through this course, and through the thoughtful completion of the Application Exercises, participants will have several implementation-ready tools to use when building their camp's assessment system.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
1. Identify the role of camp programs in creating positive youth outcomes.
2. Link camp programs with desired outcomes through a logic model.
3. Understand the ways their specific camp will gather program and outcome assessment information.
4. Use program and outcome assessment information to improve programs and achieve desired outcomes.
5. Access a variety of ACA resources available to assist in the assessment process.
Laurie Browne, Ph.D. is a Graduate Research Assistant at the University of Utah in the Department of Parks, Recreation, and Tourism. Her research interests include youth development within the camp setting and assessment of youth outcomes. Her dissertation is entitled “Effects of program design and staff implementation factors on campers’ sense of camp as a caring community.” Laurie is also the Director of Summer Programs at Rowland Hall, a private school in Salt Lake City Laurie spent most of her life either attending or working at camp in the Northwoods of Wisconsin which is also where she met and married her husband Chris. The two now have three children and look forward to being camp parents in the near future.
Course Length: 1.5 hours
Course Credit: 1.5 CEC
TWO Purchase Options:
Single person, one-year access to course
Price: $35 member; $90 nonmember
Multiple persons (up to 50 persons*), subscription access to course
Price: $75 member; $130 nonmember
*Additional learners will be $7 per person member; $42 nonmember. Please contact ACA to place your order for more than 50 learners 800-428-2267 ext. 305.
Please note the following for subscription access:
• You will be required to supply enrollment information for each learner
• The cost of the course allows up to 50 members of your staff to take the course until December 31 of the current year, unless you purchase additional learners. After that time, you/your camp will need to purchase the course again for the following year.
• Your staff may complete the program at their convenience.
You Might Also Like . . .
Prices shown are ACA member prices. First-time members can join ACA for free today.
Participant Observation, Assessment, and Evaluation