- Get Involved
- Education & Events
- Publications & Research
- About ACA
Being an Effective Nature Counselor: Activities to Engage Youth in the Outdoors
Many years ago, botanist Luther Burbank said “Every child should have mudpies, grasshoppers, wildflowers, pine trees, blue sky, soaring birds, fuzzy squirrels, huge rocks, butterflies, pine cones, wild strawberries, and room to run in—and any child who has been deprived of these has been deprived of the best part of education.”
We have long known that magical things happen when children and nature get together. Now there is a growing body of research that supports the importance of a strong connection with the natural world for all of us, and especially for young people. As a nature counselor, you will have the opportunity to connect children, and yourself, to the wonders of the natural world.
Upon completing this course participants will be able:
- To understand why it is so important that children have an opportunity to spend time outdoors in the natural world.
- To provide tangible activities which will help children explore and discover the natural world.
- To provide techniques for leading nature activities effectively, including suggestions about how to frame and debrief these activities.
Course Length: 1 hour
Course Credit: 1.0 CEC
Purchase single person access
Price: $35 member; $70 nonmember
Purchase access for ten (10) persons
Price per 10 persons: $55 member; $110 nonmember
Please note the following for subscription access:
- You will be required to provide access information to each learner that will be sent to you upon purchase.
- The cost of the course allows you to buy access to ACA courses in multiples of 10. You can purchase as many sets of ten as you need.
- Your staff may complete the program at their convenience.
Ariella Randle Rogge is the Associate Director/Program Director at Sanborn Western Camps in Florissant, CO. She has spent the last twenty years working as a youth development professional in the camping industry and in the experiential and secondary education fields. She is a passionate advocate and supporter of the Children in Nature movement and utilizes her expertise in social media to emphasize the importance of outdoor and camp experiences for all children. Ariella received a B.A. in English from Colorado College and is a certified secondary English educator and Wilderness EMT. She lives happily in the Colorado woods with her husband and two adventurous young sons.
You Might Also Like . . .
Prices shown are ACA member prices. First-time members can join ACA for free today.
Nature and Environment