- Get Involved
- Education & Events
- Publications & Research
- About ACA
Preparing and Packing for the Perfect Camp Experience
The countdown to camp is fast approaching, and the American Camp Association® (ACA) has the following tips to help families prepare and pack for a fun-filled camp experience.
- Plan Ahead — Remember your happy camper will be living out of a duffel back, trunk, or suitcase for the duration. Packing light helps campers keep track of items, and guarantees that they can handle their own luggage at camp.
- Review Camp Packing Lists — Individual camps should provide a recommended camp packing list, complete with any required equipment, preferred footwear, etc. Be sure to carefully review what is needed, with special attention to those items that may not be permitted at camp. Before packing your camper’s favorite Nintendo DS, be sure that the camp permits electronic items. If you have questions, be sure to speak with the camp director.
- Label Everything — Laundry pens, iron-ons, and press and stick labels will distinguish your camper’s belongings from those of other cabin or tent mates. Most camps ask that you label each item, including clothing, personal items, and toiletries. Make sure that your child can identify the label used.
- Break in Shoes and Boots Before Camp Begins — Make sure that your child’s clothing and footwear are comfortable and appropriate. Sending a camper in brand-new hiking boots can result in sore feet and time spent sitting out of exciting activities.
- Prepare Together — Decisions about camp, like what to pack, should be made together. The more ownership your camper has in these decisions, the easier the adjustment and transition to camp will be.
For individual and special questions, contact your camp director. Camp directors welcome the opportunity to assist you and your camper as you prepare for this exciting and life-changing experience. For more information on preparing and packing for camp, families can also visit ACA’s family resource site at www.CampParents.org.
Contact Public Relations at 765.349.3317 or pr@ACAcamps.org to interview an ACA spokesperson or for more information about how camp helps stem summer learning loss. For customizable public service announcements or article reprints, visit our Media Center at www.ACAcamps.org/media_center/.
The American Camp Association® (ACA) works to preserve, promote, and enhance the camp experience for children and adults. ACA-Accredited® camp programs ensure that children are provided with a diversity of educational and developmentally challenging learning opportunities. There are over 2,400 ACA-accredited camps that meet up to 300 health and safety standards. For more information, visit www.ACAcamps.org.