- Get Involved
- Education & Events
- Publications & Research
- About ACA
- Date/time: Saturday, April 26th - 8:30am (registration) to 5pm
- Please review http://www.olympicarcheryinschools.org/coaches/coach-training/level-1/ before the class.
- Please review the archery quiz. This is better than an open book test! You will want to be familiar with the questions and answers.
- Location: Mt. Hermon Conference Center in Felton, CA. www.mounthermon.org/directions
- Registration will begin at 8:30 a.m. on Saturday morning. Please plan on arriving at 8:30. a.m. Participants will gather at 8:45am at the Meadow. The training will conclude at 5:00 p.m.
- Attire is casual. Dress in layers. The course will be held entirely in the out-of-door in the ‘Meadow’.
- Cell phone coverage ranges from spotty to good at Mount Hermon. If someone needs to get in touch with you in the event of an emergency, please have them call the main office at 831-335-4466
Archery registration will be held at “Field House” by the meadow and main parking lot (see map). Go through the main area of the conference center (past post office, the administration building and ‘registration’ to the main parking lot. If the weather is bad, registration will be moved inside to the Forest View Meeting Room (at the Field House).
Lunch is included as part of the training and will be in the Mt Hermon Dining Hall. Those with special dietary needs typically have no trouble finding plenty to eat; however you may want to bring some food of your own if you are on a special diet.
MORNING: PRACTICAL SESSION (outdoors)
8:45 am Meet at the Parking Lot by the path leading to the archery range (B3 on map)
9:00 am – 9:15 am Welcome
9:15 am – 12:30 pm Learn to set up an archery range, learn the fundamentals of archery and practice teaching it in an effective way
12:30 pm – 1:15 pm LUNCH (45 min)
AFTERNOON: LECTURE SESSION (outdoors)
1:15 pm – 3:30 pm
- USA Archery Chapter 1: The World of Archery
- Equipment show and tell, repair, USA Archery Chapter 7: Equipment
- Olympic Archery in Schools “Safety”
- Archery in Schools “Range Setup”
- Teaching practice, USA Archery Chapter 4: Steps to Shooting
- Teaching practice, USA Archery Chapter 5: Teaching Techniques
- Teaching practice, USA Archery Chapter 6: Shooting Drills
3:30 pm – 3:45 pm BREAK
3:45 pm – 5:00 pm (outdoors)
- Olympic Archery in Schools “Competition Basics”
- Course review
- Take exam and grade each others
- Complete certification forms
- Receive Certification Cards on successful completion of the course
Mount Hermon Guidelines:
- Alcohol, illegal substances and weapons (firearms, knives, fireworks) are not permitted at Mount Hermon.
- Smoking is strongly discouraged. If smoking is necessary, guests are asked to smoke in the main parking lot.
- Dress and language need to be respectful of others. Casual yet conservative attire is encouraged. Profane and rude language is prohibited.
Directions to Mount Hermon:
Directions to Mount Hermon Conference Center may be downloaded from: mounthermon.org/directions
From San Francisco Bay Area
From Highway 17 take the “Mount Hermon Road” exit at Scotts Valley. If coming from the north, turn right at the light onto Mount Hermon Road. Once on Mount Hermon Road, proceed 3.5 miles through Scotts Valley to the “T” and signal light at Graham Hill Road. Turn left onto Graham Hill Road, then follow the directions below to the Conference Center.
From Southern California
Take US 101 North to Salinas. Exit at Market Street and take Highway 183 West toward Santa Cruz. At Castroville take US 1 North to Santa Cruz. At Santa Cruz, take Highway 17 North toward San Jose. Exit at Scotts Valley at “Mount Hermon Road.” Proceed through Scotts Valley on Mount Hermon Road 3.5 miles to the “T” and signal light at Graham Hill Road. Turn left onto Graham Hill Road, then follow the directions below to the Conference Center.
To Conference Center
After turning left at Graham Hill Road, turn left onto Conference Drive, which takes you into the Conference Center. The Administration Building is just past the post office on the right. The Mount Hermon Bookshop is directly across the street.
The street address for GPS use is 37 Conference Drive, Mount Hermon,
CA 95041, and the GPS coordinates of the Post Office parking lot are 37° 3’4.63”N, 122° 3’29.12”W. Some online and GPS mapping systems incorrectly place us inside “Felton, CA 95018” so if you have trouble, you might try that. One mapping service still shows directions from “Mt Hermon Rd” to a left on Conference Drive, that road has
been closed since the 1970’s, you must continue on “Mt Hermon Rd” to the end, left on Graham Hill Rd then make the left on to Conference Drive.
Mount Hermon Association, Inc.
37 Conference Drive
Mount Hermon, CA 95041
If you have questions, please contact:
Danielle Pinney, email@example.com, 765-349-3523 or 800-428-2267 ext. 523
Looking forward to seeing you soon!