- Get Involved
- Education & Events
- Publications & Research
- About ACA
ACA, Ohio Awards/Nominations
In 1997, the American Camping Association, Ohio Board established a means of paying tribute to those who make an extraordinary contribution to the advancement of the camp movement in the State of Ohio and who have played an important role in creating today's ACA, Ohio Program. All recognition awards are presented at our January Ohio Camping Conference (OCC). It is not a requirement that each award be presented annually.
There are four (4) recognition awards: The Oak Leaf Appreciation Award, the Friends of Camping Award, Program Excellence Award and the Buckeye Award.
The Nominating Committee of the ACA, Ohio Local Council of Leaders administers the Award Program. Annually, the membership will be given the opportunity to nominate individuals or organizations for awards and the Nominating Committee will determine the award winners. All nominations are due to the Vice President by December 31st.
The Buckeye Award is the highest honor presented to a member of American Camp Association, Ohio. To qualify, a candidate must:
- Be known for his/her outstanding service in the field. It should be easily recognized that no other award would do justice to the magnitude of the contribution of this nominee.
- Have an affiliation with the American Camp Association for at least ten (10) years and with ACA, Ohio for at least five (5) years.
- Have high moral character, personal integrity and exemplify a spirit of devoted service to the field.
- Be an active participant in National and Local ACA programs.
- David Devey (2012)
- Anne Brienza and Rich Garbinsky (2010)
- Bill and Phyllis Wiley (2009)
- Jerry Duffie (2008)
- Larry Maxwell (2007)
- Bill Lyder (2005)
- Dennis "Denny" Elliott (2004)
- Ted Witt (2000)
- Aileen Blyth and William "Bill" Tighe (1999)
- Myra Jamison (1998)
Program Excellence Award
The Program Excellence Award is designed to honor programs that:
- Develop effective, creative responses to the needs of people and/or societal problems using the camp environment and encourage continued development of such ideas
- Stimulate the exchange of creative ideas
- Present to the public examples of positive contributions camp has made on the well being of individu