- Get Involved
- Education & Events
- Publications & Research
- About ACA
NASA Space Science Training and MAVEN Mission Launch- Explore Mars!
NASA Science Training (November 15-16, 2013)
NASA is offering ACA camp professionals an opportunity to participate in a FREE NASA Space Science Training in conjunction with the MAVEN Mission Launch on November 15-16, 2013 (activities will take place near the NASA Kennedy Space Center at Merritt Island, Florida).
Apply* by 12:00 PM Central Time on Friday, October 11, 2013 at: www.lpi.usra.edu/education/explore/lib_trainings/MAVEN2013/application/.
(Select "American Camp Association" as the answer to the question "How did you hear about this training?")
*A stipend of up to $1200 is available for 30 participants. Note: The 30 applicants eligible for a stipend will receive a stipend request form via email, which must be submitted by the deadline provided in order to receive the stipend. Stipends will be paid out following the training and the participant’s confirmed attendance. The LPI does not have restrictions on how the stipend is used once it is received by the training participant. Participants are responsible for travel, housing, meal costs, and all logistical arrangements.
During the experience you will:
- Join educators from the Lunar and Planetary Institute's Explore program team for hands-on activities and ideas for presenting space science programs to young audiences and families.
- Learn about Mars science and exploration.
- Meet NASA scientists and engineers involved in Mars exploration and the latest mission to Mars.
- Learn about MAVEN’s mission to orbit Mars and study its atmosphere — helping researchers answer the question, what happened to the water on Mars?
- Undertake hands-on science activities designed for engaging children ages 8 to 13.
- Receive activity guides, and programming resources (posters, book lists, suggested web sites, etc.).
- Collaborate with public library and camp professionals from all over the U.S. and become part of the growing Explore community.
- Experience a tour of NASA’s Kennedy Space Center and the launch of the newest mission to Mars, MAVEN!* (attendance not required, but recommended).
*Weather/Conditions Permitting. Launch is scheduled to take place on November 18, 2013 at 1:27 p.m. EST as of
9/17/13. Launch date is subject to change.