Bibliographies of Camp-related Research
Efficacy of a Summer Day Camp Program Intervention on Social Skills.
Doctoral Dissertation, Boston University, 1996.
Determine the effect of social skills training in a therapeutic, activity-based summer day camp program on self-perception and social skills deficits of children ages 5-15.
64 children ages 5-15.
Method: The nine-week coed day camp program ran from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM from Monday to Thursday and from 9:00 AM to 12:00 Noon on Fridays. Campers in the study attended for at least 3 weeks. The program was designed to improve self-confidence and social skills while emphasizing cooperation, active participation, and physical success. Counselors helped campers set individual behavioral goals each day and used a token economy to reinforce desirable behaviors.
- Harter's Pictorial Scale of Perceived Competence and Acceptance for Young Children: measured perceived competence of 5-7 year old campers.
- Self-Perception Profile: measured perceived competence of 8-15 year old campers.
- Social Skills Deficit Scale: used by mothers to rate campers' behavior (validity and reliability not established).
- Direct Observation Scale: used by trained observers to rate campers' behavior (validity and reliability not established).
- Four girls and 33 boys in the treatment group, four girls, 23 boys in the control group.
- Pre-test/post-test design, with tests administered during first two days and last two days of camp session.
- SSD Testing based on videotapes of camper behavior during cooperative games and group discussion.
- Significant pre-test differences between treatment and control groups on status of parents living in subject's household.
- Significant decrease on post-test in maternal acceptance domain for 5-7 year old control group.
- Significant decrease in social skills deficits on Direct Observation Scale for camper group.
- Significant post-test increase in perceived thinking and problem-solving ability for 5-7 year old campers.
- No significant difference in self-concept for 8-15 year olds.