Bibliographies of Camp-related Research
Environmental Education at Summer Nature Camp
Dresner, M., & Gill, M.
Journal of Environmental Education, 25.3 (1994) 35-41
Evaluation of a two-week program designed to raise campers' self-esteem and environmental awareness.
28 campers, ages 10-13, attending a two-week residential nature camp.
Pre- and post- test camper questionnaires, Camper journals, Parent surveys
- Significant increase in self-esteem.
- Increase in naturalist life skills.
- Increased environmental awareness.
- Campers who live in urban areas experienced greater change in outdoor skills than campers from rural areas.
- Campers who live in rural areas experienced greater change in self-esteem than campers from urban areas.