Bibliographies of Camp-related Research
Spirituality in Organized Camping
Gans, Cheryl F.
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. not dated
Determine the influence of spirituality on the organized camping experience.
100 day and resident camp directors were surveyed. 47% response rate.
Spirituality scale, adapted from A Religion Scale of Bandis, Peak Camp Experience Factors, derived from Gordon's Peak Communication Experience Factors, Personal Camp Experience, closed-ended statements.
- 81% of respondents indicated spirituality had increased based on camp director experience.
- 66% of respondents indicated spirituality had increased based on camper and counselor experience.
- 47% of respondents indicated spirituality had increased based on camper, counselor and director experience.
- Significant gender differences in several variables from the spirituality scale demonstrating higher mean scores for men.
- No support that the camp experience is transformed into a peak experience by increased spirituality.