Summer is a great time to show your elected leaders in Congress and state legislatures what the camp experience can do for children and families. And, August is when Congress is in recess, and your legislators leave Washington, D.C. to visit constituents at home!
The American Camp Association has some great resources to help you invite your representatives, make the most of their visit, and help them understand the value of the camp experience.
- Congressional Visit Toolkit — everything you need to know to invite your leaders and make the most of their visit
- Hot topics for 2014 you may wish to advocate about with your visitors:
- Want to discuss other topics of interest to the camp community with your legislators? Review ACA's Public Policy Position Statements  for ideas. Topics include:
- Camp Safety
- Children and Nature
- Criminal Background Checks
- Public Lands Use
- School Calendars
- Year-Round Education
- Unsure about who your legislators are and how to contact them? Access the links below:
Tell Us about Your Advocacy
If you visit with any of your legislators or their staff during the summer, we'd love to hear from you! Share your experience with others by commenting below.