Summer is a great time to invite your elected leaders to camp! Consider hosting your national and state elected officials at your camp. Physically being at camp is the most impactful way to demonstrate everything that the camp experience can do for children and families. August is a great time to host visits because it is when Congress is in recess. In fact, August is the month your legislators leave Washington, D.C. to visit constituents at home!
The American Camp Association has some great resources to help make it easy for you to invite your representatives, and to make the most of their visit. The following resources will help you think about and be prepared to speak on a variety of current issues impacting camps like yours.
- Congressional Visit Toolkit — everything you need to invite your congressional leader to camp
- Hot topics for 2015 you may wish to advocate about with your visitors:
- Want to discuss other topics of interest to the camp community with your legislators? Review ACA's Public Policy Position Statements  for ideas. Topics include:
- Camp Safety
- Children and Nature
- Criminal Background Checks
- Public Lands Use
- School Calendars
- Year-Round Education
- Unsure about who your legislators are and how to contact them? Access the links below:
Tell Us about Your Advocacy
If you visit with any of your legislators or their staff during the summer, we'd love to hear from you! Share your experience with others by commenting below.