- Describe what adults working with youth and young adults need to know in order to offer high quality, developmentally appropriate experiences.
- Establish standards of practice that help guide career development systems as well as provide recognition to professionals in the camp community.
- Serve as the framework for development of new as well as existing professional development opportunities and resources.
- Focus explicitly on what individuals need to know and do as opposed to standards that focus on what programs must do to ensure safe, effective services.
The current set of core competencies frame the professional development efforts around opportunities and resources. Over time these competencies will change. Within each of these competency areas, a defined knowledge base and specific skills/abilities and aspirations will continually evolve to keep pace with changing workplace expectations, social issues, and professional demands that emerge from the field.
- Ways Core Competencies Can Be Used 
- Mapping of Current ACA Knowledge Areas and ACA Competencies 
- The Seven Characteristics of a Professional  excerpt from What Is a Professional? by Dianne Walker