This is a site where you will have the opportunity to review and comment on the recently reviewed/revised/reformatted standards. The revised/reformatted standards will go into effect for the 2012 visit year.
The Online Review/Comment Process
- Each week a section of standards will be posted below for public review/comment.
- If you wish to make a comment, please make sure to cite the specific standard number on which you are making your comment.
- See below for dates when standards will be posted for comments.
A Brief Overview
- The Accreditation/Education Task Force determined the standards should focus on health, safety, and risk management.
- The National Standards Commission (NSC) and additional volunteers reviewed all standards to help identify redundant standards, as well as determine what standard did not meet the above stated criteria.
- ACA has been consulting with the Council on Accreditation (COA) since early 2010 to help develop processes that allow ACA to align our practices within accreditation industry standards.
- The current standards have been reviewed, and at times, re-written and reformatted for improved clarity.
- Subject matter experts have been and will continue to be consulted.
- Legal counsel has been and will continue to be consulted.
- Additional environmental scans and research have been conducted.
Revisions to ALL Sections Include
- We have changed the term "interpretation" to "contextual education" as that is what we are really providing: Additional education specific to the standard.
- In the "compliance demonstration," it more clearly specifies what the visitor should see/review.
- The standards focus on the PRACTICE vs. the policy/procedure. The written policy/procedure will be seen as part of the compliance demonstration.
- All sections of the standards will be posted for review and comment by internal and external audiences for no less than 30 days.
- Comments will be read and evaluated for their content, concern, and merit.
- Additional revisions to standards will be made as the evidence informs.
- When complete, the NSC will recommend the National Board approve the standards in their entirety.
- Feel free to send comments directly to reviewcomments@ACAcamps.org .
Standards Post Dates
- Program (PD,PC, PH) — March 15 (Comment period closes April 19)
- Transportation — March 22 (Comment period closes April 26)
- Site/Food Service — March 29 (Comment period closes May 3)
- Operational Management — April 5 (Comment period closes May 10)
- Human Resources — April 12 (Comment period closes May 17)
- Health/Wellness — April 19 (Comment period closes May 23)
- Aquatics— April 26 (Comment period closes May 30)
- Program Trip — April 26 (Comment period closes May 30)