On May 26, 2011; the American Camp Association received important information from the US Consumer Product Safety Commission regarding recalls of one million pool and spa drain covers:
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firms named below, announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer products. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product. The products were recalled because the CPSC determined that they were incorrectly rated to handle the flow of water through the cover and could pose a possible entrapment hazard to swimmers. The manufacturer's will provide a free replacement or retrofit depending on model and make.
- Name of Product: Pool and spa drain covers
- Units: About 1 million
- A&A Manufacturing, of Phoenix, Ariz.;
- AquaStar Pool Products Inc., of San Diego, Calif.;
- Color Match Pool Fittings, of Surprise, Ariz.;
- Custom Molded Products, of Tyrone, Ga.;
- Hayward Pool Products, of Elizabeth, N.J.;
- Pentair Water Pool and Spa, of Sanford, N.C.;
- Rising Dragon USA, of E. Sweetwater, Tenn.; and
- Waterway Plastics, of Oxnard, Calif.
|Additional Clarification: For additional information, pool owners should contact the Drain Cover Recall Hotline toll-free at (866) 478-3521 any time, or visit the Drain Cover Recall website at www.apsp.org/draincoverrecall |
Resources and More Information
- List of recalled drain covers
- Questions and Answers about the recall: Updated August 2011
- Read the CPSC's press release about the pool drain cover recall
- Association of Pool and Spa Professionals - Drain Cover Recall
- Visit Pool Safely to learn about CPSC’s pool safety campaign and for additional proven water safety steps and other life-saving information.
Sign up for the CPSC's listserv to stay current