In 1997, the American Camping Association, Ohio Board established a means of paying tribute to those who make an extraordinary contribution to the advancement of the camp movement in the State of Ohio and who have played an important role in creating today's ACA, Ohio Program. All recognition awards are presented at our January Ohio Camping Conference (OCC). It is not a requirement that each award be presented annually.
There are four (4) recognition awards: The Oak Leaf Appreciation Award, the Friends of Camping Award, Program Excellence Award and the Buckeye Award.
The Nominating Committee of the ACA, Ohio Local Council of Leaders administers the Award Program. Annually, the membership will be given the opportunity to nominate individuals or organizations for awards and the Nominating Committee will determine the award winners. All nominations are due to the Vice President by December 31st.
The Buckeye Award is the highest honor presented to a member of American Camp Association, Ohio. To qualify, a candidate must:
- Be known for his/her outstanding service in the field. It should be easily recognized that no other award would do justice to the magnitude of the contribution of this nominee.
- Have an affiliation with the American Camp Association for at least ten (10) years and with ACA, Ohio for at least five (5) years.
- Have high moral character, personal integrity and exemplify a spirit of devoted service to the field.
- Be an active participant in National and Local ACA programs.
- Dan Reyolds (2014
- David Devey (2012)
- Anne Brienza and Rich Garbinsky (2010)
- Bill and Phyllis Wiley (2009)
- Jerry Duffie (2008)
- Larry Maxwell (2007)
- Bill Lyder (2005)
- Dennis "Denny" Elliott (2004)
- Ted Witt (2000)
- Aileen Blyth and William "Bill" Tighe (1999)
- Myra Jamison (1998)
Program Excellence Award
The Program Excellence Award is designed to honor programs that:
- Develop effective, creative responses to the needs of people and/or societal problems using the camp environment and encourage continued development of such ideas
- Stimulate the exchange of creative ideas
- Present to the public examples of positive contributions camp has made on the well being of individuals and society.
To be eligible for nomination, a program must have been in operation for at least one year (planning and development time does not count) and be part of an accredited camp.
Nominations will be judged on creativity and imaginative planning; relevance to the needs of participants; involvement of the target participants in the planning or implementation; adaptability and potential for replication; cooperative efforts with other organizations, agencies, or camps; and the ability of the program to meet stated objectives.
- Flying Horse Farms (2014)
- Camp Atagahi at Wyandot (2012)
- Camp O'Bannon's camps for Disadvantaged Children (2011)
- Camp Joy's Medical and Family Camps (2010)
- CHAMP Camp (2008)
- Operation Military Kids — OH National Guard & State 4-H; and Royal Family Kids Camps — offered at Camp Wanake (2007)
- YMCA Camp Kern "Teen Extreme" (1998)
Friends of Camping Award
The Friends of Camping Award is presented to an individual, group or organization that has made significant contributions to camping through related fields. Membership in the American Camp Association is not a requirement. Contributions or relationships can be administrative, legislative, professional, or specific participation in local development.
- Linda Flnn "Tick" (2014)
- DOMOKUR / ARCHITECTS (2012)
- The West Ohio Conference United Methodist Church (2011)
- Susan Yoder (2010)
- ERI (2008)
- Schmidt Copeland Parker Stevens, Inc. (2007)
- Christ Child Society of Cleveland (2000)
- ACA National Risk Management Team (1999)
- Markel Insurance (1998)
Oak Leaf Appreciation Award
The Oak Leaf Appreciation Award is presented to an ACA, Ohio member who has demonstrated service or special contribution to the overall philosophy of the American Camp Association movement and the ACA,Ohio Program.
- Gregry Copeland (2013)
- Lou Thalnemer (2013)
- Barbara Byle (2012)
- Mike McGinty (2011)
- David Devey (2010)
- Kim Bronson (2008)
- Anne Weinberg and Stuart Weinberg (2007)
- Rich Garbinsky (2006)
- Bill Lyder (1998)