In honor of tomorrow’s Early Bird Deadline for conference registration, today’s Moment in Camp History is all about national conference!
- 1925 — The first national conference was held in Cedar Hill, Massachusetts. ACA was still known as the “Camp Directors Association” back then, and the national conference was regarded as the “annual meeting.”
- 1935 — The first national conference of the American Camping Association was held in Cleveland, Ohio. It was referred to as “convention.”
- 1949–1977 — National conferences and regional conferences were held in alternate years.
- 2005 — The first conference of ACA as it’s known today (American Camp Association) was held in Orlando, Florida at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort.
- Number of times the conference has been held in Atlanta: 3, including the 2012 conference.
- City that has held the most ACA national conferences: It’s a tie! Chicago and New York have both hosted ACA national conferences 5 times.
When did you first attend conference? What’s been your favorite location?