Schools, camps, and recreation programs have seen in influx of children with autism, Asperger’s and other social-cognitive disorders. Learn about autism and the related disorders and the specific challenges these children struggle with in your recreation or school setting. Discover how your program or classroom can integrate and support children and teens with simple strategies. Learn what information to gather from parents as you work toward integrating the campers. Hear how UC Berkeley created a nationally recognized inclusion track for children with social skills deficits and what they learned along the way that you can use in your programs.
At the end of this course, participants will understand:
- Basics of autism spectrum disorders and specific social and communication challenges it brings.
- Special considerations you need to ask about in determining if a participant it appropriate for your setting or to determine what type of support the individual might need to be able to participate successfully.
- Strategies to support successful inclusion of children with a social-cognitive deficit or autism spectrum disorder in your recreational setting.
Course Length: 1 hour 45min
Course Credit: 1.75 CECs
TWO Purchase Options
Purchase single person access
Price: $40 member; $105 nonmember
Purchase access for multiple persons (up to 50*)
Price: $95 member; $155 nonmember*Additional learners will be $9 per person member; $49 nonmember. Please contact ACA to place your order for more than 50 learners at 800-428-2267 ext. 305
Please note the following for subscription access:
• You will be required to supply enrollment information for each learner
• The cost of the course allows up to 50 members of your staff to take the course until December 31 of the current year, unless you purchase additional learners. After that time, you/your camp will need to purchase the course again for the following year.
• Your staff may complete the program at their convenience.
Dr. Jennifer H. Selke is a Licensed Educational Psychologist and runs a large day camp at UC Berkeley. For the last twenty years, Jennifer has been running youth programs for both the US Air Force and UC Berkeley. In her spare time, she has a private practice assessing and teaching social skills to teens with Asperger’s syndrome, autism, ADHD, and learning disabilities. She runs the popular blog thecampdirector.com, teaches online social media classes for LERN, is a faculty member in the Graduate School of Education UC Berkeley, and speaks at conferences around the country.
Melanie Berry, M.S. has been a member of the Blue Camp team since 2001 and this is her fourth year directing the Social Skills Program. A UC Berkeley alumna, she is currently a doctoral candidate at the PGSP-Stanford Psy.D. Consortium where she's focusing on child psychology. Her doctoral dissertation concerns the inclusion of children with autism spectrum disorders in community recreation settings.
You Might Also Like . . .
Prices shown are ACA member prices. First-time members can join ACA for free today.