Interested in a career in camp? Join the Student Camp Leadership Academy - Midwest (SCLA-Midwest) for a weekend retreat to explore camp as a career option. Network with other future camp professionals pursuing a career as a camp director. Participants will:
- Learn about career options related to the camp profession
- Discuss topics such as camp leadership and management
- Build networking skills and connect with camp professionals working in the field
Hosted by ACA, Illinois, collaborating with ACA Field Offices: Great Rivers, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, St. Louis & Wisconsin
November 7-9, 2014
Camp Henry Horner
(approximately 1 hr from Chicago O'Hare Airport)
$135, includes program fee plus room and board
Total cost includes lodging and food for the weekend. For students driving to the SCLA-Midwest, transportation cost is your responsibility; however, round trip local transportation from Chicago O'Hare or Chicago Midway airports will be provided at no charge.
SCLA fees can be paid for by:
- the student's ACA local office via SCLA Scholarship, if available
- the student's past, current, or future camp
- the college student
- the student's university
Please check with your local ACA Field Offices/Affiliates to see if there are scholarships available to pay for the fee:
Please note, college students wanting to attend SCLA must apply and be approved to participate through their ACA local office regardless of where the funding for the student's SCLA fee comes from (even if the student is paying for himself or herself).
- Be approved by their local ACA office
- Be a current student member (undergraduate, graduate, or recently graduated) of the American Camp Association
- Have an academic and/or professional interest in the camp profession
- Be in attendance or show proof of registration currently at the college/university level
- Be employed in the past for at least one summer in a day or residential camp setting
- Be approved by his or her academic advisor
All SCLA applicants must be approved by their ACA local office regardless of who pays the registration fee. Applicants will be judged on camp experience and involvement (both volunteer and paid), related professional experiences, leadership, demonstration of professional involvement and commitment to a career in the camp profession.
- Complete the form . Include a current resume and a letter of support from a camp professional. Students may use their own word processing program instead of the application form. However, the student is required to present their application in the same format, and approximate spacing as the original application.
- Sign the application.
- Obtain academic advisor signature on application.
- Applications should be submitted electronically as a PDF document to your local ACA office by the application deadline. Find your local ACA office e-mail address .
- Applications will be reviewed by your local ACA office. Contact your local ACA office to inquire about scholarship opportunities.
- Applicants will be notified of their application status in writing by U.S. mail or email.
- Approved applicants will receive an acceptance letter, an event schedule, transportation planning tools including driving directions to the SCLA site and an invoice for the registration fee. Scholarship recipients will also be notified at this time.
- Once a student receives his or her welcome packet from SCLA, students should then review the information below regarding logistics for the event.
What To Bring:
- A GREAT attitude!
- Your resume and professional portfolio (if you have one)
- Notebook and pen
- Appropriate clothes (i.e., camp casual and comfortable) and rain gear for the weather
- Sleeping bag or bedding/linens and pillow (you will be sleeping in a cabin)
- Hiking shoes
- Personal items (i.e., towel, wash cloth, soap, shower things, medications, etc.)
- Anything else you need to be comfortable
- Bring a university t-shirt and/or hoodie for a group photo
- Sample 2013 Content/Schedule  - the 2014 SCLA Midwest will have a similar content/schedule
Executive, ACA, Illinois
312-332-0833 Ext 22