In 2010, the National Standards Commission determined there were several mandatory standards camps should strongly consider and under which they should operate. Those suggested minimum practices include:
- The camp is operating under all applicable local, state, and federal laws, regulations, and codes.
- The camp has obtained all required permits and licenses.
- The camp will conduct a criminal background check, will conduct a check of the National Sex Offender Public Website (NSOPW.gov), and will require two character references for all staff (paid or volunteer) who have unsupervised access to children or other vulnerable populations.
- The camp has staff on site at all times with current first aid and age-appropriate CPR certification, when participants are present.
- The camp has written emergency contact information for all participants, when camp/program is responsible for the participants.
- The camp requires current certified lifeguard(s) at all aquatic programs.