Since February 2013, ACA has executed an action plan to address the issue of camp security. After thoughtful, association-wide deliberation and review, leadership teams have developed and organized the resources below — with the understanding that they are living documents to be updated and evaluated as best practices continue to emerge. I encourage camps and other youth development organizations to use these resources and engage with ACA toward our collective goal: healthy, safe, experiential learning environments for our children. — Peg Smith, CEO, American Camp Association
- Crisis Response Resources 
- Decreasing the Risk of Violence at Your Camp 
- Designing Your Programs to Best Enhance the Camp Experience 
- Mental Health Resources 
- Responding to the Media 
- Security at Your Camp 
- Talking with Children about Tragedies, Death, and National Disasters 
- Talking with Parents about Protecting Children at Camp This Summer 
And, you might also find these related resources helpful:
- Bullying Prevention 
- Child Abuse Prevention Resources 
- Dangerous Games that Can Lead to Violence 
This Discussion Guide and questions are meant to serve as starting points for conversations that examine critical policies and practices needed to be prepared for acts of violence and other crisis situations. Every program is different and must examine their own program, staff, and participants to know the best way to address the issues. The questions serve as a springboard for conversations between administrators, staff, emergency response personnel, and other relevant stakeholders.
Be a Part of the Solution
- Have resources to share or other items to suggest? Share them with ACA .