- Get Involved
- Education & Events
- Publications & Research
- About ACA
Great Outdoors America Week - June 22-26, 2014
The American Camp Association is pleased to participate in the
2014 Great Outdoors America Week in Washington, D.C.!
Great Outdoors America Week (GO Week) is the preeminent event celebrating our collective connection to the great outdoors while advocating for its future. As one of the largest annual outdoor focused events in Washington DC, GO Week raises awareness around outdoors issues, brings together hundreds of diverse organizations and activists to meet with lawmakers and administrators to advocate for our outdoor way-of-life. The annual GO Week was born from the America's Great Outdoors Initiative.
This Year’s Events Include:
- Youth Outdoors Festival featuring Wilderness Inquiry’s CanoeMobile and outdoor activity stations hosted by Outdoors Alliance for Kids (OAK) member organizations. 300+ local youth will participate in nature-based activities on the water and on land. Special guests include: Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell, Administrator of Environmental Protection Agency Gina McCarthy, Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx, Assistant Secretary for the Army (Civil Works) Jo-Ellen Darcy, and Mayor of St. Paul Chris Coleman.
- Film Screening of NOLS Expedition Denali: Inspiring Diversity in the Outdoors: A presentation by NOLS Expedition Denali, the first team of African Americans who attempted to summit the highest peak in North America, on the importance of connecting young people of color with the outdoors.
- A Congressional Reception honoring the leadership of some of our best champions in the Congress - including Representatives Rush Holt, George Miller, and Jim Moran.
- Briefings with administration officials about the future of the America’s Great Outdoors initiative.
- Meetings with high-level officials about America's Great Outdoors programs within each agency.
- Hill briefings from leaders of the youth, business, conservation, sportsmen and veteran’s communities on current outdoor issues.
Detailed Partial Schedule:
- Welcome Reception, June 23rd 5 pm - 7 pm: The Wilderness Society Ansel Adams Gallery
- 50 for the 50th Project Launch and Breakfast, June 24th 8:30 am - 10 am: The Wilderness Society
- Film Screening of NOLS Expedition Denali: June 24th 5 pm - 8:15 pm: U.S. Department of Agriculture Jefferson Auditorium
- Youth Outdoors Festival June 25th 9 am - 12 pm: Bladensburg Waterfront Park
- Congressional Celebration, June 25th 6 pm - 8 pm: The Mott House
- Review the full schedule.