- Get Involved
- Education & Events
- Publications & Research
- About ACA
Marge Scanlin Outstanding Research Award
Marge Scanlin was a driving force behind many of the research efforts of ACA. Upon her retirement, this award was established as an ongoing tribute to recognize Marge’s contributions.
- The monetary award is given annually to a student in recognition of their completed research efforts that result in originality, innovation, and significant contribution to the advancement of the body of knowledge concerning the camp experience.
- Submissions of research projects can be made by any undergraduate or graduate student.
- The outstanding research paper will be selected by the Committee for the Advancement of Research and Evaluation (CARE).
- The award will be presented at the national conference where the student will present their research at the Research Symposium.
Information will be posted on the ACA Research Web page as well as distributed in multiple ways to reach a wide range of students.
How to apply:
When submitting your abstract for consideration for inclusion in the ACA National Research Forum (held during the annual national conference), there is a checkbox that asks if you wish to be considered for the the Scanlin Award. Check the box and follow the resulting instructions.
Suggestions for abstract submission:
- Refer to previous abstracts (Past research forum proceedings)
- Emphasize implications for camp as well as theoretical implications
- Follow the format suggestions closely
- Clearly explain how the study provides "originality, innovation, and significant contribution to the advancement of the body of knowledge concerning the camp experience"
- Abstracts will be considered on the merits of the: contribution of the student to the research (50% effort of more); rigor of the research; methodological soundness; and practical applications and contributions to the field
- If you have questions or want advice and support before submitting your abstract, contact research@ACAcamps.org
Contributions to the Endowment are still being accepted. If interested, please contact the Research team.
For any questions about the award, contact research@ACAcamps.org.