- Get Involved
- Education & Events
- Publications & Research
- About ACA
Student Camp Leadership Academy (SCLA)
The Student Camp Leadership Academy (SCLA) is a weekend retreat that brings students together with camp professionals, ACA staff and leadership to take an in-depth look at options for a profession in the camping field and build skills to prepare for a career in camping.
Who Should Attend
SCLA is designed for undergraduate and graduate students who are considering a career in camping.
SCLA Retreats in 2014
Dates: November 6-8, 2015
Hosted by Mid States Camp Conference
Location: Camp Henry Horner, Ingleside, IL
Cost: $135 program fee plus room and board
Continuing Education Credits: 15
For more information and/or to apply to attend, please visit www.acamidstates.org.
Core Goals for SCLA Experiences:
- Students will explore career options in the camp field.
- Students will expand their network of peers and camp professionals.
- Students will become aware of the rewards and challenges of a camp professional career.
- Students will learn about camp field career access pathways.
SCLA Core Learner Outcomes:
At the end of the SCLA experience, learners will be able to:
- Describe at least three camp-related career options available to them.
- Identify access to at least five camp networks for camp staff and/or camp professionals, and two professional organizations suitable for camp professionals.
- Identify at least three methods to develop strong networks within the camp industry.
- Identify and discuss at least three rewards and three challenges that they will face as a camp professional.
- Design a career development plan that includes resume/portfolio development and supports pathways to a camp-related career.
After successful completion of the SCLA experience, all students will receive an ACA SCLA certificate. All SCLA events are eligible for 15 Continuing Education Credits (CECs). Learn more about CECs.