- Get Involved
- Education & Events
- Publications & Research
- About ACA
Southeastern New Member Resources and General Information
5000 State Rd 67 N
Martinsville, IN 46151
Susan Yoder, syoder@ACAcamps.org
Meet the Local Council of Leaders!
The Southeastern Region is served by four state "Districts" – NC, SC, FL, GA. Each District has a Representative who also serves on the Local Council of Leaders, providing a voice for you at council meetings. In addition, the District Representative is tasked with providing two or more regional events each year and keeping up with current legislation and laws in your state. Check out the ACA Southeastern website to view the current listing of District Chairs. Read More.
News You Can Use!: This informational email is sent out on the 15th of each month to all ACA, Southeastern members. Keep up to date on current issues and information as it relates to the Southeastern Region.
Professional Development Opportunities
- Annual Fall Conference: Typically held in September, this three day conference provides valuable educational opportunities and workshops for directors, program staff, and facility staff. Check out our Conference page! Read More.
- District Events: Depending on the state you are in, your District Chair will host regular meetings, typically in the fall and winter, providing both networking and educational opportunities for camps and their staff.
- New Director Orientations: NDO is a special eight-hour course for seasonal or new camp directors, assistant directors, program directors, or persons that have been in other administrative positions and are considering directing summer camp. NDO is designed to be offered at the section or regional level. The NDO course helps directors and supervisors develop the skills they need to be effective leaders for their camp program. The course covers five core areas of camp management: leadership, risk management, camper behavior, staff training, and staff supervision. This one-day course is held throughout the Southeast each spring, providing quality training and tools for new directors and administrative program staff.
- Standards Courses: ACA's Standards course serves as an introduction to ACA's Standards Program and helps participants prepare for accreditation visits. The course describes the purpose and value of standards and accreditation, and gives an explanation of how the process works and what resources and materials are available. The course offers specific discussion about the requirements of the standards, including: application of the core and specialized activity standards, mandatory standards, and written documentation requirements. This one-day course is held throughout the Southeast during the Fall and Spring. You can also see this course as a pre workshop at our annual conference! Read More.
- Associate Visitor Courses: ACA's Associate Visitor course helps participants identify the purpose and structure of ACA's accreditation programs and understand the steps of the process at the camp, section, and national levels. Participants become familiar with the legal implications of visitor actions, as well as develop skills in gathering information, making compliance decisions, and consistently applying the standards in a variety of situations. This course stresses the awareness and acceptance of the intent of the standards to represent accepted practices of organized camping. Prerequisite: Participants in the Associate Visitor Course must be at least twenty-one years of age, a current ACA member, and have completed the Standards course as well as completed an application. This three-day course is held throughout the Southeast about once a year. Read More.
- Professional Development Center: ACA has diverse tools, services, resources, and courses to expand knowledge and skills for individuals in the camp and youth development environment and to connect learners with enhanced professional opportunities. Our Professional Development Center is a virtual learning community that includes ACA-developed and ACA-endorsed offerings to help you assemble the knowledge, skills, and abilities to propel your work and your career along the path you choose. Visit the Professional Development Center for available course offerings and enrollment information. Read More.
- Training Opportunities: ACA Southeast has a list of local trainings. Take a look at what might be of interest to you and you! Read More.
Calendar of Events
See what else is going on in the Southeast! Check out our Calendar of Events! Read More.
Committees and Focus Groups
Are you interested in volunteering for the Southeastern Region? Send an email to Cyndi Satlow and let us know what you are interested in! We have volunteer opportunities available with the Accreditation Program, Public Policy, Conference Planning, Membership Services and more. Visit our website to see what other opportunities are available. Read More.
Public Policy Resources
Want to know about your state's laws for camps or other public policy issues? The Southeastern Region keeps you updated with email announcements and updates on the website. Read More.
Awards & Nominations
The ACA, Southeastern believes in recognizing the great camp programs and individuals in our section. A full listing of section awards is listed on the Web site. Read More.
The ACA, Southeastern posts job opportunities online for ACA Accredited camps in the Southeast. Please visit to view current openings and to submit your camp's job opportunities online. Read More.
We hope you enjoy your first year with ACA and the Southeastern Section. When it comes time to renew your membership you will receive a notice in the mail. If you have any questions, please contact Shaun Bundy at the Main office for help.
New camps will have the opportunity to initiate the ACA Accreditation process if they notify the Section Office of their intention to have an ACA Accreditation visit by March 1 of each year. Learn more about the steps to ACA Accreditation. Both the Section and National staff are a great resource when it comes to ACA Accreditation questions.
Accreditation Related Courses: Each September, ACA, Southeastern publishes a calendar of Accreditation related courses. These courses will include Standards Courses, Associate Visitor Training Courses (to train to become an ACA Visitor), and update courses.
Resources for Parents and Families
ACA also hosts the Camp Parents website at www.campparents.org. At this site, parents can read articles on how to choose a camp, preparing your child for camp, and find an ACA accredited camp that fits their needs.