- Get Involved
- Education & Events
- Publications & Research
- About ACA
Southeastern Accreditation Information
Important Information About the 2012 Accreditation Revisions
• The PD (Program Design and Activity), PC (Program Challenge) and PH (Program Horse) have been combined into one section.
• The sections of the standards have been re-organized so that standards asking about policies/procedures or staff training, etc. are all together within that section.
• A “Self-Assessment” review must be completed prior to the start of staff training for the summer season (or earlier if required by your local leadership). This consists of a review of 20 pre-identified standards all requiring written documentation. It is expected the written documentation will be complete at the time of the review although the actual scoring will take place the day of the on-site visit. While not required, additional written documentation can also be reviewed prior to the start of the season.
• Capability to customize a set of standards for your camp based on your camp’s program, site, and modes, using a secure, web-based system. This system also allows for the uploading of documents for review by a third party (visitor).
What’s this mean to me?
• The 2012 Edition of Accreditation Process Guide will be released late September 2012.
• Camps will begin using these standards at their NEXT on-site accreditation visit
• Prior to the on-site visits, all camps must have an individual who will be actively involved in both the preparation of materials and on-site the day of the visit attend a Standards Course.
• All current visitors will need to attend a Visitor Update course
• All camps will receive a printed version of the 2012 Accreditation Process Guide prior to their visit.
• Additional information will be shared during the various courses AND in an article in the November/ December issue of Camping Magazine.
The Standards Course is for camp directors and/or other camp representatives who expect or would like to have an accreditation visit in 2013. The person completing the course is expected to assist the camp in preparation for the accreditation visit and participate in the on-site visit.
There is NO COST for the course; however, it is necessary to pre-register at least 7 days prior to the course you will be attending. Participants are responsible for their own lunch.
Anyone preparing for an Accreditation Visit may take the Standards Course. Specifically, the following camps are REQUIRED to send a representative to a Standards Course:
- Camps who are seeking accreditation for the first time in 2013.
- Camps who are seeking re-accreditation that have a new camp director since their last accreditation visit.
- Directors who are interested in seeking accreditation and may possibly request a visit in the future are also invited. In addition, if you intend to take an associate visitor course in the next year or so, you will need to take this course first.
Camps with Standards Visitors
Camps with a Standards Visitor on staff/volunteer are exempt from taking either the Standards Course or Standards Update Course if they so choose. The visitor is expected to be an active part of the visit and present on the day of the visit.
NOTE: Due to the change in the Accreditation Program, all Visitors will be required to take a Visitor Update Course for the 2012 camp season. Dates and Locations will be avaialble shortly.
Who to Contact for Standards Related Questions: