- Get Involved
- Education & Events
- Publications & Research
- About ACA
Laws and Regulations Affecting Your Camp
Federal, State, County, Municipal Regulations and Taxes
There are a number of regulations and taxes that apply to the camp industry. These will vary by state or local governmental bodies. It may be helpful to secure the aid of a lawyer to assist you in the legal requirements. Your state health officials are also valuable resources.
- What are the permits/licenses required in your area? Which offices handle them?
- What wage and salary laws affect staff salaries?
- What are the health and sanitation laws concerning sewage disposal and operation of food service including food storage, food handlers permits, dishwashing, garbage disposal inspections, water purity tests?
- Are background screening checks required for staff?
- If you plan to provide transportation, are special licenses required? Do school bus laws apply to camp vehicles in your area? Is insurance required?
- Is a health center required for health care? What kind of certification or license is required for health care personnel?
- What of the following state and federal taxes are required?
- Federal income
- Federal unemployment
- State income
- State unemployment
- County and state bed/tourist
- Social security
- Workman's compensation
- Sales and property