How do we know that our camps are meeting our own program goals? The ACA Camp Youth Outcomes Battery (YOB) offers camps data-gathering measures that focus on common camp outcomes. The statistically-tested questionnaires are camp specific, age-appropriate, easily administered tools that can be customized to any camp.
ACA Youth Outcomes Battery (including Spiritual Well-Being Scale)
With sponsorship from RAC, ACA and the University of Utah research team have produced a new outcomes measure for Spiritual Well-Being. RAC is pleased to have been part of the development of this scale, usable by faith-based or secular camps, that adds a vital new dimension to the YOB’s measurable outcomes. The new scale allows camps to track change in campers’ spiritual wellness by the end of a camp session.
RAC Camps who are already using the YOB to evaluate their outcomes will want to add Spiritual Well-Being to the dimensions they measure. Newcomers will find these outcomes-based tools valuable for demonstrating their commitment to quality programming, providing vital statistics to stakeholders, and documenting their camp’s effectiveness.
Special thanks to the camps who helped to pilot the measure last summer:
- Camp Ondessonk
- Cedarbrook Camp, PA
- Crestfield Camp
- Gesher Camp
- Good Earth Village
Thanks also goes to RAC partners who helped fund this research project: Cal-Nevada Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church, Episcopal Camps & Conference Centers, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Presbyterian Church Camp and Conference Association. RAC depends on these kinds of contributions to fund research initiatives that benefit the religious camps community.
Measuring Spiritual Outcomes of Your Program
- Spiritual Well-Being Outcomes Measure  – ACA and RAC Collaboration
- Camps and Spirituality  – Nancy Ferguson – Camping Magazine
- Outcomes in Faith-Based Camping  (DVD) – David Berkey
Staff Training – Spiritual Leaders
- Training Staff to Be Spiritual Leaders  (book) – Nancy Ferguson
- Developing Spiritual Competencies During Staff Training  (Camping Magazine article) – Nancy Ferguson
- Promoting Spiritual Development in Camp  (online course) – Jen Burch
Faith-Based Activities for Children and Youth
- Grab and Go Activities: Teaching Children about God at Camp  (booklets) – Suzanne Halstead
- Humongous Book of Games for Children’s Ministries  (book)
Environmental Stewardship. Sacred Responsibility.
- 101 Nature Activities  (book) – Jane Sanborn
- Leadership and Environmental Stewardship  (book) – Barry Garst and Christine White