Many years ago, botanist Luther Burbank said “Every child should have mudpies, grasshoppers, wildflowers, pine trees, blue sky, soaring birds, fuzzy squirrels, huge rocks, butterflies, pine cones, wild strawberries, and room to run in—and any child who has been deprived of these has been deprived of the best part of education.”
We have long known that magical things happen when children and nature get together. Now there is a growing body of research that supports the importance of a strong connection with the natural world for all of us, and especially for young people. As a nature counselor, you will have the opportunity to connect children, and yourself, to the wonders of the natural world.
Upon completing this course participants will be able:
- To understand why it is so important that children have an opportunity to spend time outdoors in the natural world.
- To provide tangible activities which will help children explore and discover the natural world.
- To provide techniques for leading nature activities effectively, including suggestions about how to frame and debrief these activities.
Course Length: 1 hour
Course Credit: 1.0 CEC
Purchase single person access
Price: $25 member; $60 nonmember
Purchase access for multiple persons  (up to 50*)
Price: $55 member; $90 nonmember
*Additional learners will be $5 per person member; $28 nonmember. Please contact ACA to place your order for more than 50 learners 800-428-2267 or 800-428-2267 ext. 305
Please note the following for subscription access:
- You will be required to supply enrollment information for each learner
- The cost of the course allows up to 50 members of your staff to take the course until December 31 of the current year, unless you purchase additional learners. After that time, you/your camp will need to purchase the course again for the following year.
- Your staff may complete the program at their convenience.
Ariella Randle Rogge is the Associate Director/Program Director at Sanborn Western Camps in Florissant, CO. She has spent the last twenty years working as a youth development professional in the camping industry and in the experiential and secondary education fields. She is a passionate advocate and supporter of the Children in Nature movement and utilizes her expertise in social media to emphasize the importance of outdoor and camp experiences for all children. Ariella received a B.A. in English from Colorado College and is a certified secondary English educator and Wilderness EMT. She lives happily in the Colorado woods with her husband and two adventurous young sons.
You Might Also Like . . .
Prices shown are ACA member prices. First-time members can join ACA for free today.