In order to meet several of the American Camp Association standards; certification in CPR/AED, first aid, or lifeguarding is required. To assist ACA-accredited camps in meeting these standards, ACA is pleased to announce a continued partnership with the American Red Cross that will provide a 20-percent discount for Red Cross Training and Certification for ACA-accredited camps!
Your 20% discount for Red Cross Training and Certification applies to:
- Red Cross Training Service courses that the ACA-accredited camp offers as an authorized provider.
- Full-Service Courses provided by the American Red Cross at the ACA-accredited camp’s location.
How to Utilize Your Training Discount
- Contact your American Red Cross Aquatics Representative or call 1-800-741-7145
Camp Entities must have a current Red Cross Licensed Training Provider Agreement on file.
- Provide your contact information along with your ACA-accredited camp number, and your pricing will be incorporated into your agreement to be automatically visible when course records are entered.
- Coordinate with your Aquatics representative the list of courses that you will be offering as a Licensed Training Provider or schedule full-service classes.
- The discount is automatically applied when the course record is submitted, no coupon needed for course record entry.
Note: the discount does not apply to Learn-to-Swim Facility fees or to Aquatic Examiner Service fees
At this time, the American Camp Association requires that any aquatic, first aid, and CPR/AED certification must include, at minimum, 50 percent of course time spent on in-person instruction, hands-on practice, and skills assessment under the direct supervision of a certified instructor. If the preceding requirement is met, it is acceptable to complete a Blended Learning course which includes an online portion and an instructor-led classroom skills session.
To help camps through the recent health crisis, American Red Cross has expanded its course offerings and offer a 50% discount on many online only courses.
May is Water Safety Month, and now, more than ever, our work to keep people safer in, near and around water is so important. During this difficult time we wanted to keep you informed about a number of resources and programs that you can use to serve as a voice of safety for our communities as this unique summer season approaches, whether online, at home or out in the community.
Red Cross Learning Center Resources for Facilities:
- COVID-19 Guidance
- Aquatic Support Forum During COVID-19
- Water Safety Instructor Trainers
- For Lifeguarding Operations
- For Aquatics Providers
Free Online Resources
Red Cross online resources are great sources of water safety information that are easily accessible for children and adults:
- Water Safety Information for the general public about water safety, water competency. Please visit Redcross.org/water safety as a resource center with downloadable materials.
- Water Safety for Kids is a go-to source of information for all about the importance of water safety with activities and quizzes for kids, WHALE Tales video lessons, and "live" links to other helpful safety sites. WHALE Tales features eight water safety topics to help teach elementary-school aged children about water safety while they are at home and can be utilized for "dry-land" online and classroom training.
- Red Cross Swim is a free mobile app that features drowning prevention and emergency response information. Text "SWIM" to 90999 to download the app
Online Safety Courses
These FREE online safety courses are available for individuals and for providers. If you are interested in taking the course please visit Redcross.org or if you are a provider interested in offering these courses, visit the Red Cross Learning Center and the course catalog for information:
- Water Safety for Parents and Caregivers (Available in Spanish)
- Becoming a Water Safety Ambassador (Available in Spanish)
Supplies & Products Discount
Coupon code grants 10% OFF Supplies & Products for American Camp Association members. The coupon cannot be combined with other site promotions. Improper use of the coupon code, including, but not limited to, selling of the coupon code is prohibited. This action could result in the voiding of the coupon code if used and may constitute fraud. Visit the Red Cross Online Store to receive this discount, use the discount code (available by end of July 2021).
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds, and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports U.S. military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission.