- Get Involved
- Education & Events
- Publications & Research
- About ACA
Healthy Camp Toolbox: Resources for Injury and Illness Monitoring and Prevention
The "Healthy Camp Toolbox"--developed through the support of Markel Insurance (an ACA Mission Partner)--provides a variety of resources for addressing health and safety issues in camps.
Research and Promising Practices for Reducing Injuries and Illnesses
- The American Camp Association conducted a five year study to benchmark camp-related injury and illness in U.S. camps called the Healthy Camp Study. This Impact Report. summarizes what we learned. (See page 24 for specific injury and illness prevention strategies.) The Healthy Camp Study was honored with a 2012 ASAE Summit Award.
Resources for Professional Development and Staff Training
- Recorded webinar: Exploring Technology for Camp Health Services
- Recorded webinar: Preventing Traumatic Head Injuries in Camps and Other Youth Settings
- Online course: An Ounce of Prevention: Collecting & Using Camp Injury-Illness Data for Program Improvement
- Online course: Health and Safety: Preventing Injuries and Illnesses (4-part series)
- Online course: A Counselor's Role in Healthcare
Resources for Parents and Caregivers
- Add this parent flyer to your camp registration packets to partner with parents to reduce injuries and illnesses at camp- A Healthy Camp Begins and Ends at Home! (PDF).
Resources for Camp Operations and Healthcare Services
- Some camps are using electronic records and incorporating technologies in a myriad of ways to support camp healthcare. Learn about considerations in the selection of camp healthcare technologies
- Additional resources for injury and illness prevention related to the Healthy Camp Study.
- Creating Healthy Camp Experiences- policy statement from the American Academy of Pediatrics
- FREE Excel-based tool and code list for injury and illness monitoring
- Concussion resources from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Related books/DVDs from the ACA bookstore
- Related Camping Magazine articles from ACA
- Related PowerPoint presentations from ACA