The Healthy Camp Toolbox, developed through the support of Markel Insurance (an ACA Mission Partner), provides a variety of resources for addressing health and safety issues in camps.
Mental, Emotional & Social Health (MESH)
Mental, Emotional & Social Health (MESH) - It's no surprise that camp programs, policies and practices that compliment and/or address camper and staff MESH needs can improve the camp experience for everyone. And it's not a surprise that a camp program intentionally designed to compliment MESH attributes helps build resiliency, self-esteem and self-confidence for participants while minimizing challenges for camp professionals.
How might a camp professional quickly identify conference sessions, articles and tools that expand one's MESH toolkit? Simply look for the MESH icon. It'll draw your attention to elements that focus on this critical area.
- Download the MESH assessment tool (directions included with the download) Assessment of a Camper's Behavior of Concern
- Find a Mental Health First Aid course for yourself but also consider hosting a course for your staff and/or ACA local office.
- Check out the Mental Health Toolkit for additional MESH resources.
Research and Promising Practices for Reducing Injuries and Illnesses
The American Camp Association conducted a five year study to benchmark camp-related injury and illness in U.S. camps called the Healthy Camp Study. This Impact Report. summarizes what we learned. (See page 24 for specific injury and illness prevention strategies.) The Healthy Camp Study was honored with a 2012 ASAE Summit Award.
Resources for Professional Development and Staff Training
- Recorded webinar: Staff Training Activities to Promote Camp Health and Safety
- Recorded webinar: Exploring Technology for Camp Health Services
- Recorded webinar: Preventing Traumatic Head Injuries in Camps and Other Youth Settings
- Online course: A Counselor's Role in Healthcare
Resources for Parents and Caregivers
- Add this parent flyer to your camp registration packets to partner with parents to reduce injuries and illnesses at camp - A Healthy Camp Begins and Ends at Home! (PDF).
Resources for Camp Operations and Healthcare Services
- Some camps are using electronic records and incorporating technologies in a myriad of ways to support camp healthcare. Learn about considerations in the selection of camp healthcare technologies
- Injury and Illness Prevention Core Competency Toolkit
- Concussion resources from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Related books/DVDs from the ACA bookstore