State Regulations for Alaska

Date Revised: 01/30/2024

Governing Body:

Alaska Department of Health and Social Services

Municipality of Anchorage | Department of Health and Human Services

License Required for Day Camps :
License Required for Resident Camps:
License Information:

Day Camps

Child care licensing is required for day camps. However, if a day camp is ACA-accredited, the licensing process can be waived. There is a separate licensing site and information for facilities in Anchorage, although the requirements for day camps are the same. 

Alaska Child Care Facilities Licensing

Municipality of Anchorage Licenses and Permits

Zip Lines

$1 million liability insurance policy required for both amusement rides. Minimum10 day notification to Department before operation can begin after installation.

Sec. As 05.20.070 & 8 AAC 78.290 Sec. 05.20.010 - 120 and 8 ACC 78.0 10-900 Compliance with Administrative Act

Criminal Background Checks Required:
Criminal Background Checks Information:

Department of Public Safety
Criminal Records and Identification Bureau

5700 E. Tudor Road
Anchorage, AK 99507
(907) 269-5767

Name based, (non-fingerprint) state background check - $20
Fingerprint based state background check - $35
Fingerprint based state and national background check - $48.25

State Allows FBI Checks:
State FBI Checks Text:

FBI checks are only available for certain organizations that serve children. The additional cost is $18. 

Details: Dept. of Public Safety (Frequently Asked Questions)

Driving Record Checks:

An individual may request the record by mail, fax, or by going to any DMV and showing proper identification.

Cost is $10.00 

Details: Division of Motor Vehicles' website

Minimum Wage:

$11.73 per hour

Minimum Wage Coverage and Exemptions:

Child Care Facility Exemption
A nonprofit educational or child care facility to serve in place of a parent of children in residence is exempt if the employment requires residence at the facility and is compensated on a cash basis. Total compensation, exclusive of room and board, must be at an annual rate of less than (a) $10,000 for an unmarried person; or (b) $15,000 for a married couple.

Nonprofit, Recreational, Educational Organizaton Exemption
An individual engaged in activities for a nonprofit religious, charitable, civic, cemetery, recreational, or educational organization is exempt where the employer-employee relationship does not, in fact, exist, and where services are rendered to the organization under a work activity requirement of AS 47.27 (Alaska temporary assistance program)

Subminimum Wage:

Student Learner Subminimum Wage
An exemption for student learners from the minimum wage requirement is available when the student learner is enrolled in a course of study and training in a cooperative vocational training program under a recognized state or local educational authority. (Must earn at least 75% of minimum wage)

Part-time, Under 18 Employee Subminimum Wage
Exemption for individuals under 18 who are part-time employees for under 30 hours per week. (Must at least earn federal minimum wage)

Overtime Pay Requirements:

1½ times regular rate after 8-hour day or 40-hour week (10-hour day, 4-day week if agreed to in a flexible work hour plan approved by labor department).

Overtime Pay Exemptions:

Employees of employers with less than 4 employees in the regular course of business.

Meal/Rest Period Requirements:

Alaskan employers are required to provide break periods of at least 30 minutes for minors ages 14 through 17 who work 5 or more consecutive hours and are going to continue to work. Employers are not required to give breaks for employees 18 and over. If your employer allows breaks, and they last less than 20 minutes, you must be paid for the break. If your employer allows meal periods, the employer is not required to pay you for your meal period if it lasts more than 20 minutes and you do no work during that time. Details

Student Exemption from Unemployment Tax:
Student Exemption Information:

Service performed by a full-time student under the age of 22 in a work study program taken for credit at a public or nonprofit institution is exempt from unemployment tax, if it has been certified that the service is an integral part of the program.