State Regulations for Nevada

Date Revised: 8/29/2022

Governing Body:

Nevada Department of Health & Human Services | State Health Division

License Required for Day Camps :
License Required for Resident Camps:
License Information:

The boards of health of health districts and counties shall issue licenses to qualified applicants for the operation of children’s camps. No children’s camp may be operated without first obtaining such a license.


Day Camps:

Most day camps are likely exempt from child care facilities regulations: Nevada Revised Statutes, Chapter 432A, Services and Facilities for Care of Children


Resident Camps:

Nevada Revised Statutes, Chapter 444 - Sanitation, Children's Camps (444.220-444.320)

Southern Nevada Health District: Requirements for Equipment and Structure of Children's Camps


Criminal Background Checks Required:
Criminal Background Checks Information:

Nevada Department of Public Safety
Records and Technology Division

333 W. Nye Lane, Suite 100
Carson City, NV 89706
(775) 684-6262

Nevada Administrative Code, Chapter 179A , Records of Criminal History

Nevada Criminal History Form

$27.00 per record

State Allows FBI Checks:
Driving Record Checks:

Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles Driver History Reports

$7 uncertified, $11 certified

State Sex Offender Registry:

Nevada Sex Offender Registry

Minimum Wage:

$10.50 per hour (with no health insurance benefits provided by employer)

$9.50 per hour (with health insurance benefits provided by employer and received by employee)

Minimum Wage Coverage and Exemptions:

Covers all nonexempt employees in private employment; Exemptions: certain handicapped workers under special certificates. Any person employed by a children’s camp on a written contract basis for a specified term longer than 1 week is exempt from the provisions of NRS 608.250 to 608.290, inclusive, and chapter 609 of NRS relating to daily and weekly hours of labor only if such camp is operated by a nonprofit organization which is exempt from federal income tax under I.R.C. § 501. Details

Subminimum Wage:

Minors under age 20: $4.25 per hour. Severely handicapped persons specified in certain certificates issued by the rehabilitation division of the state department of employment and training may be paid a specified subminimum wage.


Overtime Pay Exemptions:

Those employees exempt from the minimum wage; executives, administrators, and professionals

Meal/Rest Period Requirements:

Meal period: 30 minutes for 8 hours worked. An employee may voluntarily agree to forego a meal period (employer has burden of proving agreement).

Rest period (the following does not apply where there is only one employee at a place of employment, or where a collective bargaining agreement provides otherwise): (a) 10 minutes for each 4 hours worked, taken in the middle of each work period if possible; (b) one 10-minute rest period if employee works at least 3½ continuous hours but less than 7 continuous hours; (c) two 10-minute rest periods if employee works at least 7 continuous hours but less than 11 continuous hours; (d) three 10-minute rest periods if employee works at least 11 continuous hours but less than 15 continuous hours; (e) four 10-minute rest periods if employee works at least 15 continuous hours but less than 19 continuous hours. Unpaid lunch breaks are not considered when determining the number of hours worked. An employee may voluntarily agree to forego any rest period (employer has burden of proving agreement). Employers may apply to Labor Commissioner for an exemption if business necessity precludes meal and rest periods.

Student Exemption from Unemployment Tax:
Student Exemption Information:

Student employment can be exempt under certain conditions. The student must be enrolled at a nonprofit or public educational institution in a full-time program for credit that combines academic instruction with work experience.