State Regulations for Pennsylvania

Date Revised: 07/03/2024

Governing Body:

Pennsylvania Department of Health

License Required for Day Camps :
License Required for Resident Camps:
License Information:

Day Camps:

Camp Owners must register camps which meet the following criteria:

  1. Camp exists for the primary purpose of providing outdoor “group living experience” for children, youth and adults.
  2. Camp is established for conducting an organized program with social, recreational and educational objectives.
  3. Camp program is held at a camp facility, designed for the purpose of providing an outdoor living experience.
  4. Camp program is held a minimum of five consecutive days.

A permit is required to operate day camps

Pennsylvania Organized Camps Page

Child Care Center regulations

Child Care Center applicability

Additional Registrations


Resident Camps:

A permit is required to operate resident camps

Pennsylvania Organized Camps Page

Pennsylvania Code, Title 28, Part II, Chapter 19, Section 19.11-19.14

Criminal Background Checks Required:
State Allows FBI Checks:
Minimum Wage:

$7.25 per hour

Minimum Wage Coverage and Exemptions:

Covers all employees unless specifically exempt.

Exemptions: employees of seasonal amusement parks, organized camps, and religious or nonprofit educational conference centers; executives, administrators, and professionals; seasonal employees under age 18; students under age 24 working with either handicapped or exceptional children for nonprofit or welfare agencies or with campers under age 18 for nonprofit day or resident camps operating less than 3 months a year; certain students employed by nonprofit educational institutions where enrolled or by related nonprofit facilities;

Subminimum Wage:

Students and learners under special certificates may be paid 85% of minimum wage. The certificate must provide that employment for 6 or fewer students (except during vacation periods) will be on a part-time basis and will not exceed 20 hours in any workweek at a subminimum rate. If 7 or more students are employed at a subminimum rate, a special certificate will be issued only if the employer certifies that their employment will not reduce the full-time employment opportunities for other workers. Employees under age 20 may be paid a training wage that is at least equal to the federal minimum wage ($5.15 per hour) for the first 60 days of employment. Handicapped or disabled workers may be paid less than minimum wage if the employer obtains either a license specifying a wage rate commensurate with the employee’s productive capacity (by joint employer-employee application) or a federal certificate under the FLSA.

Overtime Pay Requirements:

1½ times the regular rate after 40-hour week

Overtime Pay Exemptions:

Those employees exempt from the state minimum wage

Meal/Rest Period Requirements:

Meal period: minors under age 18 and seasonal farm workers-at least 30 minutes after 5 hours’ work (for farm workers break may be for meals or rest).

Student Exemption from Unemployment Tax:
Student Exemption Information:

The Law defines Educational Programs under Section 4(l)(4)(9)- Service to Income Exempt Organizations, Colleges or Universities, Under Cooperative Educational Programs or as Hospital Patients. Included as income exempt organizations are townships and boroughs that pay less than $50 for such services. Service by a student or his spouse in the employ of a school, college or university, if such service is provided in a program to provide financial assistance to the student under section 4(l)(4)(10)(B); Section 1002(9); and Section 1201(b)(6).  Please note that under cooperative educational agreements, it is important to differentiate between employment that is covered by the agreement and employment that is beyond the restrictions of the contract. Most contracts of this sort involve only an individual’s services during school twenty to twenty-five hours per week; any additional employment would be covered.

Additional Info:

School Bus Transportation