- Provide networking opportunities that facilitate communication among members of ACA from nonprofit organizations of all types (including, agency, faith-based, and independent nonprofits).
- Serve as a vehicle for discussion of nonprofit camp issues and trends.
- Provide a platform to investigate and launch new initiatives to meet the key challenges of ACA nonprofit camps.
- Provide support for the work and mission of ACA, in particular the nonprofit sector, through the development of tools and resources.
Be Part of the Conversations
Upcoming Conversations about Fundraising - 2022/2023
Join us! Join your nonprofit camp colleagues for conversations about fundraising
October 11, 2022 - Panel Discussion covering a variety of fundraising topics, including: Cultivation, engagement, and acknowledgments, grants, matching grants, time grants, resources for fundraising professionals, and volunteers - Register
January 17, 2023 - Managing Donor and Alumni Relations: Presented by Dail Ballard, Executive Director of North Carolina United Methodist Camps - Register
- April 11, 2023 - Fundraising Events: from dodgeball and golf tournaments to family camp weekends, BBQs, and evening soirees. Understanding the connection to major milestones, alumni relationships, annual appeals, managing and targeting larger donors, acknowledgments. Presented by Jimmy Dickson and Sara Hazel of Geneva Glen. - Register
Previous Conversations about Boards – 2021/2022
- Celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month & Discussion Diversifying Boards of Directors – October 12, 2021 – recording – A conversation about diversifying your board facilitated by Roberto Gil, member ACA Board of Directors and deputy director of camping at The Fresh Air Fund. Panelists include (1) Diana Noriega, assistant executive director of Anti-Racism and Equity at Good Shepherd Services NYC, (2) Fatima Shama, executive director and CEO of The Fresh Air Fund, advisor to NYC Mayor Blumbergh administration, member of the Boards of Directors of the New York Foundation, Coro Leadership New York, the New York Immigration Coalition, the National Summer Learning Association, and as a Trustee of the Pinkerton Foundation and (3) Rafael Alvarado, member ACA Board of Directors and owner/director of KeeBees Camp,
- Got Risk? The Board's Role – January 25, 2022 – Melanie Herman, executive director of the Nonprofit Risk Management Center – recording and slides
- Critical Training for Boards of Directors – April 19, 2022 – recording and slides – Ann Sheets, past executive director Camp Fire First Texas Council, Fort Worth, past president ACA Board of Directors, chair ACA Board Development Committee, member American Camping Foundation Board.
Resources Supporting Your Nonprofit Work
Here are just a few resources that will help support your work as a nonprofit entity.
- Annie E Kasey Foundation – Kids Count Data Center
- BoardSource – Resources for and evaluation of boards
- Indiana Youth Institute – Training, critical data, and capacity-building resources (primarily in Indiana)
- MovieMondays.com – Fun, free, real solutions for fundraising professionals
- National Council of Nonprofits – Resources and tools for nonprofits
- NonprofitLibrary.com – Resources, tools, and free demos for nonprofits
- Nonprofit Risk Management Center – Risk management and governance resources and consultanting for boards of directors
- NonprofitStorytelling.com – Resources for telling stories that help you raise money
- Chart of Accounts for Nonprofit Camps Sample
- Template Resource Documents
- Sample Budget – Originally shared with a webinar ACA hosted – "ACA's Business and Financial Strategies in the Age of COVID-19: For Nonprofit Camps Recorded Webinar October 2020"
- ACA's Fundraising Toolkit
- ACA's Six Steps to Bridging Your Business from 2020 to 2021 PDF
- ACA's Staffing, Compensation, and Benefits Report
- State Operating Guidance related to COVID – State positions on camp; spreadsheet updated regularly
- State Operating Guidance related to COVID map
Membership in the Not-for-Profit Council
The Not-for-Profit Council is an organization of the American Camp Association and operates with guidelines created by ACA to serve the special interests of the not-for-profit camp community. Membership in the Not-For-Profit Council is open to any member of the American Camp Association with nonprofit affiliation who is willing to pay dues.
Benefits of Membership
- Newsletter supporting your nonprofit work
- National nonprofit camp voice and network
- Professional development in nonprofit issues at ACA National Conference and at regional events
- Identification of and research on current trends
- Complimentary copy of one of the following YOB tools: (1) PDF of the entire Youth Outcomes Battery, or (2) PDF of the Youth Outcomes Staff and Parent Perceptions tool. Order your copy now.
- Grant resources
- Legislative and policy advocacy network
- Professional development in volunteer management
If you are already an ACA individual member and would like to join ACA's Not-for-Profit Council, please reach out to us.
If you are NOT already an ACA individual member and would like to join, please do so online and chose the ACA Not-for-Profit council also.
Questions? Contact Grechen Throop 765-349-3517 or gthroop@ACAcamps.org