ACA, Great Rivers Fall Conference
See pricing details below.
Please join us for the Great Rivers Fall Conference! A variety of educational sessions and networking opportunities will be featured. Enjoy a time of inspiration, first-rate professional development, and fun at Carol Joy Holling in Ashland, NE.
ACA is committed to providing opportunities to engage in the safest and most enjoyable in-person experience possible. Learn more.
Early Bird registration is available through October 18, 2023
- Conference program on November 15-16, 2023
- Double occupancy hotel style lodging on Wednesday, November 15th
- Event attendees can register for either a double occupancy room with a private bathroom or shared bathroom
- Single rooms with a private bathroom are available, please select this option in step 4 of the online registration process.
- Four meals (Wednesday lunch and dinner, Thursday breakfast and lunch)
Commuter registration is available for those staying offsite and includes conference program, Wednesday lunch and dinner, and Thursday lunch. It does not include overnight lodging.
For more information about lodging check-out the Carol Joy Holling Conference & Retreat Center tab.
|Member (Double Occupancy Lodging w/Private Bathroom)||$200||$280|
|Non-Member (Double Occupancy Lodging w/Private Bathroom)||$280||$360|
|Additional person from same organization - Member (Double Occupancy Lodging w/Private Bathroom)||
|Additional person from same organization - Non-Member (Double Occupancy Lodging w/Private Bathroom)||$235||$285|
|Member (Double Occupancy Lodging w/Shared Bathroom)||$170||$192|
|Non-Member (Double Occupancy Lodging w/Shared Bathroom)||$230||$277|
|Retiree / Student / Speaker (Double Occupancy Lodging w/Private Bathroom)||$155||$180|
|Commuter - Member||
|Commuter - Non-Member||$150||$175|
Behavior Management Strategies for Camps with Trevor Dunlap - Tuesday, November 14
1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Member Cost: $60
Non-Member Cost: $100
What are the ABC's? We are not talking about the alphabet. We are talking about the environments we create as camp professionals that provide campers with that sense of awe and those "ah ha" moments where kids build skills that count!
This preconference program will focus on behavior management techniques that help to ensure a positive and safe camp experience for all participants. The program will cover a range of topics related to behavior management, such as identifying and responding to challenging behaviors, creating positive relationships with campers, and preventing conflicts. The goal is to equip camp staff with practical strategies and skills to handle various behavior situations that may arise during the camp, promoting a positive camp environment for all.
This interactive workshop will be conducted through a variety of methods, including interactive presentations, role-playing activities, and group discussions. The program will also provide an opportunity to learn from each other's experiences, share insights, and brainstorm solutions. Through this comprehensive and engaging trailing model, camp staff can feel more confident and prepared to manage challenging behaviors, resulting in better outcomes for our campers in 2024.
Trevor, Executive Director of Nuhop and Co-Founder of Switchback Designs is passionate about experiential learning and loves fostering creative environments where people can succeed through self-discovery and teamwork. His high energy and zeal creates a contagious atmosphere of transforming fun where people can develop a new appreciation of themselves and their peers.
Trevor is the co-author of Team Building from the Toyaisle and Crowdwords: Doing a Lot with a Little, as well as the designer of CrowdCubes, Pathfinder, and Performance Cubed, experiential tools used across the globe.
Trevor and his wife Sarah enjoy taking their three children on adventures, and can often be found trail running/hiking, skiing, and working the soil in their family garden.
Let's put an exclamation point on the 2023 Great Rivers Fall Conference. During this keynote, we will revisit a time where screens didn't obscure our vision; where human interaction wasn't mediated through posts and qualified by "likes"; where we sat eye-to-eye, connected over the simplest of tools; where friends were made by simply asking, "Want to play?" Join us as we tap into our intra-kindergartener-consciousness and explore the renewed promise of the first teambuilding activity we ever knew - the power of Play! During this Playnote we will unpack how we can flip our perspective and build upon our conference connections to create lasting networks through purposeful play! Participants will walk away feeling renewed, excited to engage and equipped with interactive activities they can use right away!
Jami Biodrowski, Director of Camp, Respite, & Recreation
Closing Keynote: Weathering Barriers at Camp - One Grain of Sand at a Time
What does the word 'disability' mean to you? Do you imagine wheelchairs, big bathroom stalls, and power doors? Perhaps you think of words like 'ADA', 'disability benefits', or maybe even the word 'unable'. Jami will reshape your view of this word so that you can more easily remove unintentional barriers at your camp and transform it to be a place of true belonging for all.
Tuesday, November 14
- 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. Pre-Conference Workshop - Behavior Management Strategies for Camp with Trevor Dunlap
- 6:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. Dinner for Pre-Conference Attendees and Early Arrivals
Wednesday, November 15
- 7:30 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. Early Bird Breakfast for November 14 arrivals
- 8:30 a.m. - 9:25 a.m. Registration
- 9:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m. Opening Playnote with Trevor Dunlap
- 10:55 a.m. - 11:55 a.m. Educational Breakout Session #1
- 12:00 p.m. - 12:30 p.m. Lunch
- 12:45 p.m. - 1:45 p.m. Hot Topic Roundtables
- 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. Educational Breakout Session #2
- 3:10 p.m. - 4:10 p.m. Educational Breakout Session #3
- 4:20 p.m. - 5:20 p.m. Educational Breakout Session #4
- 5:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. LCOL Update & Awards
- 6:00 p.m. - 6:45 p.m. Dinner
- 7:30 p.m. Evening Social
Thursday, November 16
- 7:30 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. Breakfast
- 8:30 a.m. - 9:20 a.m. Hot Topic Roundtables
- 9:45 a.m. - 10:45 a.m. Breakout Session #5
- 11:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. Closing Keynote with Jami Biodrowski
- 12:15 p.m. - 12:45 p.m. Lunch
Breakout sessions include:
- Teambuilding From the Toy Aisle
- Abuse and Neglect - How to Notice!
- Master Planning Strategies for Camps
- Reframing Your Mindset: Providing an Inclusive Environment for Campers and Staff
- The Single Biggest Problem in Communication Is The Illusion That It Has Taken Place
- Cultivating a Lifetime of Healthy Relationships at Camp
- ACA Accreditation Conversation
- No Nurse, No Problem
- Surveys & Evaluations for Your Basic Camp Pro
- Camp Tour of Carol Joy Holling
- Adventure For All: Strategies to Increase Accessibility of Challenge Courses and Programming
- Recruiting Camp Counselors: Lessons from the City of Omaha's 2023 Day Camp Recruiting
- Games Galore
- Fostering Connections at Camp Through Strategic Staff Training and Unique Traditions
- How to Start a Camp Podcast
Enjoy a time of education, renewal, and fun at Carol Joy Holling Retreat and Conference Center located on 317 acres of rolling hills outside of Ashland, Nebraska. Conveniently located halfway between Omaha and Lincoln, Carol Joy Holling Center features hotel style lodging, beautiful meeting spaces, and comfortable spots for visiting with friends.
Participants are encouraged to register and select their preferred lodging as soon as possible for the greatest selection. Lodging is assigned on a first come first served basis.
Registration includes hotel style lodging on Wednesday, November 15th. Participants can register for a double occupancy hotel room with either a private bathroom or a shared bathroom.
Single rooms are available for an additional fee. When registering online, please select this option in step 4.
- Single hotel style lodging additional fee for November 15 - $75
If you are attending the preconference or arriving early on Tuesday, please select single or double overnight lodging for Tuesday, November 14. Overnight lodging on Tuesday includes dinner that evening and breakfast Wednesday morning.
- Single hotel style lodging on November 14 - $165
- Double occupancy hotel style lodging with private bathroom on November 14 - $125
- Double occupancy hotel style lodging with shared bathroom on November 14 - $118
If you are not staying for the Great Rivers Fall Conference, but need lodging on November 14, please contact Abbie Parker (aparker@ACAcamps.org, 765-349-3526).