ACA-Accredited camps set the standard – tell the world that your camp offers fun and safety! Use the sample press release to send to news media in your community.
Tips for Sending News Releases to the Media
- Press releases should follow the same general format as the sample press release.
- Use your camp's letter-head.
- Be sure to provide contact information to make it easy for an editor or reporter to follow up.
- Provide newsworthy copy and do not exceed two pages.
- A good general rule: Use the "inverted pyramid" journalistic style. Write the most important information first – answering who, what, when, where, why, and how.
- Send your releases to:
- local TV and radio stations
- local newspapers
- city newspapers or your target area
- online publications and blogs
- Address your releases to the "feature editor" of the local weekly papers and magazines – they are more likely to include your story than large dailies.
- You may find the most interest is generated from features, family sections, and human-interest sections of the news media.
- Follow up with a phone call after sending the release to answer any questions the reporter may have. Be prepared to answer any questions the reporter may have about your camp and ACA accreditation.
- On your registration form, ask your campers' parents for the names of local newspapers/magazines they read most often.
Sample Press Release
The following press release is designed to tell the world about your camp's accomplishment. Use this sample press release as a template and fill in your camp's information as prompted. You should print and distribute the release using your camp's stationery. For the best results, follow the format of the release as shown. It is specifically designed to get an editor's attention. If you plan to use different language or alter the press release for your camp's use, let us help! Please contact us at email@example.com to make sure your camp's press release is accurate and ready to share.
Special Note: When referring to your ACA-accredited camp status on websites, brochures, letters, social media, and videos, please use the following copy to describe accreditation:
ACA accreditation means that (CAMP NAME) submitted to a thorough (up to 266 standards) review of its operation by the American Camp Association (ACA) — from staff qualifications and training to emergency management. American Camp Association collaborates with experts from the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Red Cross, and other youth-serving agencies to assure that current practices at the camp reflect the most up-to-date, research-based standards in camp operation. (CAMP NAME) and ACA form a partnership that promotes summers of growth and fun in an environment committed to safety.
ACA helps all accredited camps provide:
- Healthy, developmentally appropriate activities and learning experiences
- Discovery through experiential education
- Caring, competent role models
- Service to the community and the environment
- Opportunities for leadership and personal growth
Place a news release on your camp's letter head. (Information that is in all caps should be supplied by your camp)
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT'S WORK PHONE
CONTACT'S HOME PHONE
Earns ACA-Accredited Camp Status
CITY/TOWN, STATE – The American Camp Association® (ACA) announced today that CAMP NAME has received ACA-Accredited® Camp status for UPCOMING YEAR/SEASON.
"ACA accreditation means that (CAMP NAME) submitted to a thorough review (up to 266 standards) of its operation by the American Camp Association (ACA) — from staff qualifications and training to emergency management — and complied with the highest standards in the industry," said Tom Rosenberg, President/CEO, ACA.
"Parents expect their children to attend accredited schools. They also deserve a camp experience that is reviewed and accredited by an independent organization," Rosenberg said.
"(CAMP NAME) and ACA form a partnership that promotes summers of growth and fun in an environment committed to safety," said YOUR NAME, YOUR TITLE, "ACA accreditation demonstrates our commitment to quality camp programming."
CAMP NAME was founded in YEAR and is located in TOWN/CITY. The camp is in operation from MONTH to MONTH and offers sessions lasting from NUMBER OF DAYS/WEEKS to NUMBER OF DAYS/WEEKS. For more information, parents can contact the camp at AREA CODE/PHONE NUMBER, or visit the camp's Web site at URL ADDRESS.
ACA is the only independent accrediting organization reviewing camp operations in the country. ACA's nationally recognized standards program focuses primarily on the program quality, health and safety aspects of a camp's operation. ACA collaborates with experts from the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Red Cross, and other youth-serving agencies to assure that current practices at the camp reflect the most up-to-date, research-based standards in camp operation. For more parent-focused information about accreditation, visit ACAcamps.org.
As a reminder, we are here to help! If you have questions regarding this or other press releases for your camp, please contact ACA's public relations team at firstname.lastname@example.org.