Benefits of Camp
National Camp Impact Study
ACA, Michigan Camp Community Connection
How Has Summer Camp Shaped Me?
Learning for Life
Why Kids Flourish at Camp
The Long-Lasting Benefits of Camp
What I Did on My Summer Vacation
No Greater Gift: A Grandmother’s Story
Family Camp Impacts on Family Functioning
The Value of Camp
Promoting Youth Development Through Research
Enriching the Lives of Children
- A generous grant from Lilly Endowment Inc. helped support the largest research study of camper outcomes ever conducted in the United States.
- A respected, independent research firm, Philliber Research Associates, collected longitudinal data at 92 randomly selected camps.
- More than 5,000 families from around the country participated.
- Results confirmed that camps build skills necessary to prepare campers to assume roles as successful adults. Parents, campers, and camp staff independently reported growth in areas such as self-confidence, independence, making friends, exploring and learning new activities, and spirituality. Indeed, camp provides growth experiences for youth that can benefit them through adulthood.
- Camp helped me make new friends. (96%)
- Camp helped me to get to know kids who are different from me. (93%)
- The people at camp helped me feel good about myself. (92%)
- At camp, I did things I was afraid to do at first. (74%)
- My child gained self-confidence at camp. (70%)
- My child continues to participate in some of the new activities he or she learned at camp. (63%)
- My child remains in contact with friends made at camp. (69%)
The American Camp Association is committed to your child’s growth and development. Measuring how camps are doing to address the potential of every child is an integral part of ACA’s mission. Camp is both a laboratory and a catalyst for child development. By studying campers’ experiences and camp’s impact on the lives of young people, ACA provides parents with the knowledge to make good decisions, to thoughtfully guide their children, and to offer opportunities for powerful lessons in community, character building, skill development, and healthy living. Camp is a powerful, positive force!
What ACA's Commitment Means for Parents
- ACA provides camps with the most up-to-date information and best practices in the field of youth development.
- ACA is actively conducting research that contributes to understanding youth development.