Are You Interested in a Career In Camp?
- Are you ready to make the jump from seasonal/part-time staff to full-time, year-round staff?
- Are you new to a camping profession or transitioning from a different career?
- Are you looking for resources and opportunities to build your resume, learn more about the camp profession, and network with current camp professionals so you can take that next step?
You have come to the right place!
EPIC (Emerging Professionals in Camping) is a branch of the American Camp Association started in 2004 through the ACA New York Affiliate office and now has spread throughout the country to provide education, social networking opportunities and events for individuals in the camp industry.
EPIC connects emerging professionals from around the country and strives to provide meaningful opportunities for learning. There are no official EPIC "membership requirements"; anyone is welcome if the topic and conversations speak to you and can help you on your path to learning!
Where to Start?
Great question! Depending on your area of interest, ACA has a variety of online and/or in-person trainings and learning opportunities that can help you build your resume as you follow your journey into camp!
Emerging professionals in camping work with one another across the country and continue to develop the camping industry with the future in mind. This objective is accomplished through the design of and participation in various EPIC events. Involvement in EPIC events such as workshops and social networking opportunities that give EPICs a chance to meet, exchange ideas, discuss previous camp successes, and challenges so that they may help improve the camping industry as a whole.
- EPIC Coffee & Chat, March 27, Noon EST
Courses and Trainings
A special 7-8 hour in-person training is for seasonal or new camp directors, assistant directors, program directors, or persons that have been in other administrative positions and are considering directing a camp.
This is an overview of all the aspects of the director's job with the primary focus on the summer operation. This training provides and overview of the core competencies a director needs, and then focuses on leadership, risk management, camper behavior, and staff training and supervision. Check out ACA's event calendar to find a course near you.
Staff Training Certificates of Added Qualification
ACA’s Staff Training Certificate Courses are more than just online training! These intensive online courses are self-directed learning opportunities that help build the added qualifications you and your staff need in today’s world. Each certificate course covers all thirteen core competencies required to run a camp successfully and includes curriculum components suited to a variety of learning styles. Continuing education credits available.
- Entry-Level Program Staff Certificate
- Experienced Program Staff Certificate
- Middle Manager Certificate
- Camp Director Certificate
- Day Camp Director Certificate
Connect to Other EPIC Members
If you are interested in connecting with someone in your local office or region, please contact the membership representative in your area.
- Gay Bruner — Central Region Membership
- Anna Danila — Western Region Membership
- Kristina Lee — Eastern Region Membership
- Kyle Medeiros — New York/New Jersey Membership
- Bud Copeland — New England Region Membership
View and contact the EPIC National Committee (ACA customer portal).