The Role of Just Culture in Safety at Camp
Type of CourseOnline Course
$20 Member; $40 Nonmember
What is Just Culture? Why is it important? How does it influence safety? And what does it have to do with my camp? This workshop will address these questions. We’ll explore how Just Culture is defined, its interconnection with broader safety culture, and its connection to systems-informed risk management. Participants will leave with an understanding of how to assess and improve the presence of Just Culture in their camp, and how this can improve their safety outcomes.
- Participants will understand how Just Culture is defined and applied across industries
- Participants will learn how to evaluate their organization’s safety culture and use of Just Culture
- Participants will learn practical, tested strategies for how to apply Just Culture to their camp’s prevention of & response to incidents
- Participants will understand Just Culture as part of systems theory-based safety management
- Participants will gain access to additional resources for learning more
Jeff Baierlein is an author, consultant, trainer and speaker on outdoor program risk management, environmental education, and business leadership. Jeff directs Viristar, providing safety, curriculum design and strategy consulting and training to camps and other groups. He is the author of Risk Management for Outdoor Programs: A Guide to Safety in Outdoor Education, Recreation and Adventure. Jeff ran a group of six camps in Washington state and is a former Executive Director with Outward Bound.